Torch coral with mouth open/ unhappy?

Stevenpandas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch coral has been unhappy for the last few days, somewhat deflated. Today I notice it’s mouth is open. What is going on. I just did a water change, so I have not test my parameters. Last time I check alk was 9.2, cal 400, mg 1400, but that was a week and a half ago. I had this torch for months and I first placed it in the front but the flow was being pushed on top of it as it went down the glass and the flow was not moving the tentacles much. I tried to increase the flow but it didn’t do much so I tried switching places with my torch that is big and happy. The person who I bought the coral from said my light might be too strong so I put my light settings into acclimation. Should I try to dip or just wait it out

image.jpg image.jpg

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My usual go to thing whenever I start to see any of my corals/inhabitants acting up is to do water testing! I would first test again your parameters in your system and see if anything is really standing out to you now..

I would say though that the coral does not seem super happy at the moment and the gaping mouth is never a good sign! Test again and lets see if we can get to the root of the problem!

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch coral has been unhappy for the last few days, somewhat deflated. Today I notice it’s mouth is open. What is going on. I just did a water change, so I have not test my parameters. Last time I check alk was 9.2, cal 400, mg 1400, but that was a week and a half ago. I had this torch for months and I first placed it in the front but the flow was being pushed on top of it as it went down the glass and the flow was not moving the tentacles much. I tried to increase the flow but it didn’t do much so I tried switching places with my torch that is big and happy. The person who I bought the coral from said my light might be too strong so I put my light settings into acclimation. Should I try to dip or just wait it out

image.jpg image.jpg
How has this torch turned out? I have a HG torch doing this right now on one of it's heads, I had noticed a slight sign of polyp bailout, so I have moved the torch to a lower flow area to see if it attaches itself again

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be too much flow... are your parameters stable?
Tanks been up almost 9 months now, checked the water today for the first time in a while as I worried and they're all fine, infact they're the best I have seen them especially calcium and dkh. I had changed the flow so I am assuming it is this, I have moved it to a lower flow area and removed the extra pump I had added to see if it recovers

2021 reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks been up almost 9 months now, checked the water today for the first time in a while as I worried and they're all fine, infact they're the best I have seen them especially calcium and dkh. I had changed the flow so I am assuming it is this, I have moved it to a lower flow area and removed the extra pump I had added to see if it recovers
Do you dose alk and calcium?

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, how is your coral naw? I could be facing something similar.. started seeing torch's mouth visible and opened eapecially at night... never seen it like that before.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back