Torch Friend or Fiend?

JKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, bought a Torch from my LFS this past weekend. Dipped it in CoralRX I saw lots of critters wiggled off it after about 5 minutes - left it in for 10. Anyway, it was already on a fairly large calcified base so I glued it onto my own piece of rock and put him in my tank. Tonight, I realized that what I thought was just a piece of the calcified rock was OPENED! If I shine a light on it, it closes after about 10 seconds...
Torch-Friend.jpg

It's been a long time since I had my last reef tank so I'm looking for some help... I'm assuming this is some type of clam - but what do I know.
Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Joe

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broad cast feeding helps. Mine have been in my tank for over a year still going strong.

Welcome to reef2reef.
IMG_20191112_193349_01.gif

OP
OP
JKenny

JKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding the fish the Neptune "CD" (Crossover Diet) pellets and the label reads that it also feeds the corals... Might that be good enough for the bivalve? Would it be good for my Torch, Hammer and Frogspawn - or should I be target feeding them somehow?

Again, thanks for the help.

Joe

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a non photosynthetic bivalve you would need small particle foods like phytoplankton
+1 food for filter feeders. glad you have some good critters. I have 3 feather dusters on my torch :)

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really wanna keep the bivalve, and give your corals a boost (mine love the this). you can buy frozen phyto cubes, thaw them, then in one of those ketchup bottles or similar container, broadcast feed the tank. EVERYTHING in your tank will eat the phyto.

OP
OP
JKenny

JKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new question I'm afraid. Seems this Torch has a few friends along for the ride...

In watching my Torch, I've noticed that there are "tubes" raising above the Torch polyps. Last night, I saw some of these tubes closing up when I put the pen light on them! They are alive!

Can anyone share what they think is happening?
Torch Hitchhikers.jpg

Thanks,

OP
OP
JKenny

JKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Thaxxx and DSC Reef. Just did a quick lookup on tunicates and that is what I think I have... Seems the LFS undercharged me for the Torch due to all of the "extras" that came along with it. I do love this hobby!

Back