Torches are overrated and over priced.

Nikorad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a torch, a regular green one, that is it.

Torches take up too much space and are not even that nice looking. There are a few wow pieces, but cost a kidney to buy.

Not to mention, many like aussies do not do well as they are constantly being shipped and moved around. They also do not thrive in mixed reefs, as they tend to like dirty water.

Rant over, thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a long tentacles plate coral or elegance coral bithbofvwhich have nice swaying movements

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No corals like dirty water. That's a myth. Faster growing corals may have a higher demand for nitrogen and phosphorus but the dirty water idea isn't true.

I don't like the price of them but people pay it and they are slow growing which makes it worse.

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over priced? No doubt but I think just because you don't like them doesn't mean they are over rated. It's all about what people like. I drink cheap beer but don't think high dollar craft beers are over rated but they are over priced lol. It's all about what works for you and everyone has different preferences. Heck is there anything in this hobby that isn't over priced. I don't know what TED means so It probably over rated as well

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different strokes for different folks.

Some say sticks suck, as they dont move. Some say torches suck, as the are expensive and you have to put spce between them and other corals.

Personally, I think the only good things that need to be in a tank are anemones. Heck with everything else.

4B434D3C-AD57-40CA-9D41-067685D5D31B.JPG

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first entered the hobby in the late 80s I was never really drawn to torches, I would rather frog spawn to a torch.
Fast forward 30 plus years and I feel the same, BUT, I have seen a few pieces where the hobbyist just let them go without fragging, those forests were amazing.

I have no intention on getting a torch, I said the same about elegance corals and just last night I saw a video of a purple one with pink tips.... drooled all over my phone lol

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Torches take up too much space and are not even that nice looking. There are a few wow pieces, but cost a kidney to buy.

Not to mention, many like aussies do not do well as they are constantly being shipped and moved around. They also do not thrive in mixed reefs, as they tend to like dirty water.

It’s all about individual preferences. Add as many or few as you like. As long as there is a market and people paying the asking price don’t see any changes soon. Indo ban didn’t help. I have a few in my mixed reef that do ok providing that enjoyable movement. Don’t buy into trade names just buy what I like. How did u arrive at the Aussie conclusion and them not thriving in mixed reefs?

Last edited:

Layton (OR)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid work on the click bait title! I love reading hot takes, they encourage discussion and sharing of differing opinions. The spice of life. I feel the same for the most part, but some of these oranges and purples are giving me pause...

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't buy one then. More for me.

Back