Torn on adding live rock.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m restarting a 200g That has been fresh for a couple years.

A friend of mine had a few hundred pounds of live rock and I picked up about 50 pounds and put it in a bio cube. My plan was to put the rock in the 200 to seed the rest of the dry rock I’m using.

As is to be expected - this rock is covered in stuff. Lots of bristle worms, sponges and little feather dusters. I’ve seen a few bristle worms which don’t really bother me. And tons of big pods running around.

But there are a few vermetid snails as well. And I hate those. My plan is to try and squash as many as I can but a few will get by.

so my options are to use this live rock as planned and take the bad with the good. Or skip it and just stay with the dry stuff seeded with bacteria.

What would y’all do? Is the added bio diversity more important than a few snails?

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just use the live rock. Biodiversity has to be one of the most important factors in a successful tank

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a old reefer. And I’m telling you. The older the rock. The better. I’m a big fan of not talking rock out of water. Ever.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock and add some bumble bee snails

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO vermetid snails aren't even worth trying to avoid. I mean theyre a little annoying but not a plague, and so common on frags anyway. Live rock all the way!

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO vermetid snails aren't even worth trying to avoid. I mean theyre a little annoying but not a plague, and so common on frags anyway. Live rock all the way!
Agreed, in my case, the vermetids arrived on frag plugs, not the live rock I ordered from Florida.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey alright. I was hoping for an easy choice. Glad everyone agrees.

I’m going to add go on a crushing spree while this rock helps the main tank cycle. Won’t be adding fish for quite a while so hopefully the numbers will dwindle.

Thanks all

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey alright. I was hoping for an easy choice. Glad everyone agrees.

I’m going to add go on a crushing spree while this rock helps the main tank cycle. Won’t be adding fish for quite a while so hopefully the numbers will dwindle.

Thanks all
A rarity in reefkeeping - everyone agrees.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the Live Rock! I used dry rock and thought I'd like it better but I really don't... I had to buy some wet rock to seed the copepods, sponges, feather dusters, et cetera. Without those the tank doesn't seem as alive to me.

Back