Total loss of sps corals/need advice

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding more also adds organic carbon. The fish get some of it, but not all. When you add N and P alone, there is no carbon source so anything that you are hoping to "feed" (in the assumption that N and P are "food") will not have any real fuel to do anything.

Aren’t amino acids just nitrates and phosphate with carbon? What would be better, over feed food or dose some aminos?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If amino acids can get to the coral, then they could prove valuable. All single cell organisms will gobble them up quickly, but they can also be absorbed through coral tissue. The real issue is that nobody knows which aminos are in any supplement and if they are the right ones. I would feed more since you know what happens there and you know that it works.

Some people swear by supplements and swear that they can see some difference. Then, they stop, and cannot see any difference. You really have to use them, stop and use them again to really know. Some people still say that they can tell. Most cannot.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If amino acids can get to the coral, then they could prove valuable. All single cell organisms will gobble them up quickly, but they can also be absorbed through coral tissue. The real issue is that nobody knows which aminos are in any supplement and if they are the right ones. I would feed more since you know what happens there and you know that it works.

Some people swear by supplements and swear that they can see some difference. Then, they stop, and cannot see any difference. You really have to use them, stop and use them again to really know. Some people still say that they can tell. Most cannot.
Jda do you use any supplements on your system?
Care to share what if any?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. I just have a CaRx, change some water and feed the fish.

I have used just about everything over the years and never noticed a difference.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. I just have a CaRx, change some water and feed the fish.

I have used just about everything over the years and never noticed a difference.
What media for do you use for your CArx? Am guessing coral skeletons based?

OP
OP
M

Mike646

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a thought today, I noticed all corals in the tank are dying except my leather toadstool. I’m thinking this may be the culprit after all? My levels were always low to zero. And the fact zoas are even dying tells me something else is at work. Any thoughts on this?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back