Total newbie, hex tank build questions

matthend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was gifted what I have since learned is an old Profecto 27 Hex tank and stand, and with a small amount of cutting I can fit a 10 gallon into the cabinet for a sump. Is this a good idea? From what I have read so far it sounds like oxygenating the water can be an issue with tall tanks like these so I am trying to work out what I can do to alleviate this. Trying to figure out where to start, so many questions, what to buy first...

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to suggest some sort of hang on the back skimmer instead. This will provide some oxygenating effect as well as acting as a filter.

OP
OP
M

matthend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the smallish sump not be worth the trouble for the extra volume etc that it adds then? Would the Seaclone 100 be an ok choice for a HOB skimmer?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hex tank build and I have a sump that is about 10 gallons. I built the stand and built the sump to fit in the stand. Click on my build thread contributor banner in my post to get to my build thread.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back