Total tank water volume or minus the rock/sand when dosing

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you go on the tank and sump volume without rock/sand equipment when dosing for your corals " or just guess whot the volume will be around with rock/items in your tank!

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you go on the tank and sump volume without rock/sand equipment when dosing for your corals " or just guess whot the volume will be around with rock/items in your tank!

I dose based on how much actual water volume is in the tank.

However, if you don't know your volume cause you didn't measure it when you started your system, it will, generally, be lower than the actual calculated volume because of your rocks and equipment. So it would be a good idea to dose less than the total calculated volume of the empty tank. I use to do about 20-30% lower than the calculated volume. After dosing if it didn't get the parameters to where I want, I'd just add a bit more. Based on how much you dosed to get your parameters where you wanted them, you can back track to figure out how much water you may have in your system as well.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks" my tank and sump (upto the water level in sump) is 173 gals or 658ltr So could I say dose at 130 gal water ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back