Toxic killer or miracle cure: Have you used copper in your tank?

Have you used copper in your tank?

• Yes, I have used copper successfully

Votes: 75 19.5%
  • Yes, I have used copper with mixed results

Votes: 20 5.2%
  • Yes, I have tried with poor results

Votes: 11 2.9%
  • No, but I am open to using copper in the future

Votes: 59 15.4%
  • No, I have no plans to use copper in my tank

Votes: 219 57.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Toxic killer or miracle cure: Have you used copper in your tank?

Copper in your tank can make an impact – both good and bad. It can be used to medicate fish, control algae, and promote the health of certain livestock; however, it can also be toxic and should be used with caution. Small amounts of copper come in to our tanks as an ingredient, but let’s talk about directly adding copper to your tank or to the food. Have you used it successfully? Do you completely avoid directly adding copper? Have you used it with mixed or negative results? Please tell us about your experience with copper in your reef tank and share any tips in the discussion thread.

merlberg_copperpower.jpg

Photo by @merlberg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other.
I have not purposely put copper in my tank but I have a copper fitting fixed close proximity to the salt water. It may or may not have dripped into the tank. I can't confirm either way.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, copper can be effective but is suitable only for QT systems.
Yes. I'll never put copper in my display tank, only QT tanks. Even if you dose copper before ever getting coral I've heard the copper can be absorbed into your reef rock and then leach out later even after you've used Carbon or other methods of removing it.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT tank is "my tank" - so yes, I've used copper successfully in my (QT) tank (but not my display)

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be blunt the LFS selection is highly critical. Some stores I call the dead fish people and some stores a perfect. I everyone squabbles over cost instead of quality they will be catered to in that fashion.

Copper is a lot of work while QT stresses out the healthiest of fish. I get a few spots on one fish everyfew months in my tank and haven't bought a fish or Qtd in years.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used Copper but one of my LFS uses it in all their fish tanks as a precaution. I've never gotten a sick fish from them so I guess it works pretty good. I'd use it in a QT/hospital tank if needed though.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use copper in QT for all fish I purchase. No issues.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Copper is great when used properly. There are too many dumping this chemical into their systems- then asking questions or adding it for the wrong purpose and even adding drops or m/l and walking away. IT Must be tested using a reliable copper test kit. Dealing with an issue and asking for the cheapest medication and test kit offers poor outcomes.
When overdosed can be a toxin and when mixed with certain medications can dissolve the bonders that make it safe, hence making it toxic.

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose copper daily into my display. Since I run ozone, it gets depleted quickly (as seen by my ICP-MS results). It is an essential compound for photosynthesis, so I add a very small amount to keep it just barely detectible on an ICP-MS test (it should never be detected on an ICP-OES test).

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Majority of my fish have been with me forever and in “old times” few reefers quarantined with medication. I added few small fish recently, but used passive quarantine, however, I had copper and copper test ready just in case.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used Copper but one of my LFS uses it in all their fish tanks as a precaution. I've never gotten a sick fish from them so I guess it works pretty good. I'd use it in a QT/hospital tank if needed though.
Some that use that never get butterfly fish and run levels low but long term.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back