Trace elements

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the people who dose trace elements what made you decide your tank needed them? I've considered dosing them but can't decide if I need to. Did everyone buy test kits like the red sea one to test some of the elements, or have an ICP test done?

If doing a AWC that equals about 10% per week if there any reason trace elements would need to be added?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the people who dose trace elements what made you decide your tank needed them? I've considered dosing them but can't decide if I need to. Did everyone buy test kits like the red sea one to test some of the elements, or have an ICP test done?

If doing a AWC that equals about 10% per week if there any reason trace elements would need to be added?
I recently added TM All For Reef dosing to supplement Alk/Calc and got the added benefit of Trace Elements. Aquarium is thriving and notice better colors on my acros.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added TM All For Reef dosing to supplement Alk/Calc and got the added benefit of Trace Elements. Aquarium is thriving and notice better colors on my acros.
Do you do anything to test for any of your minor/trace elements, or just assume the levels are good based upon the way the way tank looks?
I have no plans of switch to an all in one supplement like AFR, so for me it would just be the addition of some kind of trace elements.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For many years I never considered trace elements and assumed since I was doing regular WC I was fine. Only dosed alk/calc/mg. However somewhat recently I did start dosing them. Originally the red sea lineup, but have switched to moonshiners. I have not really noticed much different in growth, but have noticed a lot of difference in colors.

Like everything though I am sure results will vary by the needs of your specific tank. I would start with an ICP test at least to see.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For many years I never considered trace elements and assumed since I was doing regular WC I was fine. Only dosed alk/calc/mg. However somewhat recently I did start dosing them. Originally the red sea lineup, but have switched to moonshiners. I have not really noticed much different in growth, but have noticed a lot of difference in colors.

Like everything though I am sure results will vary by the needs of your specific tank. I would start with an ICP test at least to see.
In the long run it may just be an icp test that I need to have done. I guess I should probably just stop being so cheap and get one done. Does it give you enough information to know if dosing trace elements would be needed?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you do anything to test for any of your minor/trace elements, or just assume the levels are good based upon the way the way tank looks?
I have no plans of switch to an all in one supplement like AFR, so for me it would just be the addition of some kind of trace elements.
Started with an ICP test and things were in the low range. I also run a calcium reactor but that couldn't keep up the needs - thus the supplement with AFR.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it give you enough information to know if dosing trace elements would be needed?

It definitely gives you the information to know what if any elements are lower than expected/ideal. Which ones specifically are "needed" or will benefit you is where the debate starts :)

Like I said though I have been convinced.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I run the Triton method and do not do water changes. So I need to replenish what I am losing.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with an ICP test and things were in the low range. I also run a calcium reactor but that couldn't keep up the needs - thus the supplement with AFR.
I've been using a diy 2/3 part and I'd prefer not to switch. If I'm being honest the only reason I'd prefer not to switch is because it's the alk/cal/mag supplement method that I'm most comfortable with.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a diy 2/3 part and I'd prefer not to switch. If I'm being honest the only reason I'd prefer not to switch is because it's the alk/cal/mag supplement method that I'm most comfortable with.
Bottom line - depends on the needs and your goals. Acros colored up beautifully after dosing trace elements.

5247E8E8-8E91-40A9-AC9C-742955FFA65D.jpeg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started dosing trace elements. I use all for reef to keep up with calcium and alk,but I have a low calcium consumption. I bought the red sea colors after seeing some moderately compelling YouTube videos and worrying that my zoa tank was low on iodine. I added the iodine blindly and the corals noticably perked up.

Fast forward a week. I bought an iodide/iodine test kit and learned that in a week my corals and probably filter media were completely stripping the iodine from my water. I'm still not sure what dosing schedule I should use, or if I should remove my chemipure blue (it may be stripping trace elements).

I have dosed several more times and seen consistently better looking corals beginning the day after dosing.

I should also mention that I do 10-20% WC every 2-3 weeks with a salt that supposedly has trace elements (tropic Marin).

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone known of a single additive that adds all minor and trace elements without effecting alk/cal? If they include all needed elements in AFR then there is surely some other additive that does it without the calcium and alkalinity aspect.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think these single bottle additives are the best when it comes to trace elements. Your individual system will have certain demands that can’t be addressed by a single concoction. I started dosing the Red Sea colors according to my calcium uptake (this is what Red Sea recommends) but I soon found that my system was using up iron more quickly because I ran a refugium. What I think is best is to ICP test and dose what is deficient. Unfortunately, this is probably the most expensive option too. Testing isn’t cheap and buying individual trace elements isn’t cheap either. :/

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I think is best is to ICP test and dose what is deficient. Unfortunately, this is probably the most expensive option too. Testing isn’t cheap and buying individual trace elements isn’t cheap either. :/
The cost ultimately won't stop me from doing what I think is best for the tank. I've look into the red sea colors and I didn't think the prices for the elements was all that bad really. What you said about the different elements makes sense, but once you start dosing them do you do anything to make sure they stay as a balanced dosage (continued testing?). The only reason I was hoping to use one additive is because I still have one empty dosing container and pump that I could easily setup to automatically dose one single liquid.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i found using red sea and a few icp tests was i was getting some that went too high and others never went up enough. That was the push to make me look into moonshiners

I also found that while the upfront cost of that approach was more the ongoing cost is much less as i am only dosing the elements i need. Most elements i dose weekly at most so not on a doser and for me no big deal.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i found using red sea and a few icp tests was i was getting some that went too high and others never went up enough. That was the push to make me look into moonshiners

I also found that while the upfront cost of that approach was more the ongoing cost is much less as i am only dosing the elements i need. Most elements i dose weekly at most so not on a doser and for me no big deal.
I know almost nothing about the moonshiners method. It's just dosing the exact elements that you need isn't it? How do you know what you need, icp testing? If so how often do you have your water tested?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It seems complicated at first. It really is not though. ICP tests monthly the first few months then can stretch them out much longer. I will do every 6 months at this point

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t mean to hijack the thread here, but i wonder if you need to turn off the skimmer when you dose trace elements? I ordered a small set of RedSea elements because my few corals that i have has poor colour :(

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mean to hijack the thread here, but i wonder if you need to turn off the skimmer when you dose trace elements? I ordered a small set of RedSea elements because my few corals that i have has poor colour :(
I never do. I believe the amount of trace elements a skimmer pulls up is pretty limited. No real scientific basis for the above statement though :)

I do bypass my skimmer when feeding or dosing things like "reef energy", etc.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back