"Training" a Mandarin Dragonet to use a Paul B Feeder

bjonesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I (fairly) recently added a mandarin dragonet to my system and while he is fattening up nicely off of my pod population, he has shown little (if any) interest in eating BBS off of my Paul B feeder. Does anyone have advice on how to get a mandarin to take to the feeder or is it just a matter of waiting until they figure it out?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also try to introduce small bits of frozen as well (Calanus, brine), because if you can get him interested in frozen you'll have a fat and happy mandarin indeed! (and the inverts will always help you out with the scraps).

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to let the thing age in there for a while. Mandarins and all fish are afraid of new plastic.
Don't clean it except for the mesh.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some TOD xsmall pellets They sink to the bottom and my Mandarin loves it. You can sprinkle some on the rocks to see if they will eat it. Keep trying. My mandarin eats frozen mysis too. Don't give up.

OP
OP
bjonesq

bjonesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shortly after posting he became acquainted with the feeder! On top or around the feeder is now his "bed" and while he cruises all over the tank hunting, he also spends time just picking off the feeder. Crazy how fast he eats when on the feeder, literally "pecking" a BBS 2+ times a second.

He is wild-caught so I imagine his inclination is to actually hunt and that is why he's not on it all of the time. But so far he seems to have gotten a bit thicker than when I got him last week and while he was not that skinny he has a great shape now!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shortly after posting he became acquainted with the feeder! On top or around the feeder is now his "bed" and while he cruises all over the tank hunting, he also spends time just picking off the feeder. Crazy how fast he eats when on the feeder, literally "pecking" a BBS 2+ times a second.

He is wild-caught so I imagine his inclination is to actually hunt and that is why he's not on it all of the time. But so far he seems to have gotten a bit thicker than when I got him last week and while he was not that skinny he has a great shape now!
Post a video

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin is a Pod elitist, he won't eat anything but pods. It doesn't matter the size of the pellet or whether I place it on a silver platter. He just eats pods lol
Have you tried Grindal worms? They're just a little larger than 'pods and their wriggling attracts most fish. Mine took to them fairly quickly, and then moved on to mysis from there.

OP
OP
bjonesq

bjonesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Had to try several times to avoid scaring him off as he is not yet used to me approaching the tank! Finally got a decent one hanging around the side of my refugium, but my dog running up and licking my hand scared him away! Hence, the shaky video lol

I am a bit concerned about his weight though. I will try to get better pictures. He has a decently full shape, but I can see his second (lower) lateral bone line occasionally, only when he is turning and flexing his body in such a way. Is that a concern? I am going to try to get a better picture right now as well.

OP
OP
bjonesq

bjonesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Had to try several times to avoid scaring him off as he is not yet used to me approaching the tank! Finally got a decent one hanging around the side of my refugium, but my dog running up and licking my hand scared him away! Hence, the shaky video lol

I am a bit concerned about his weight though. I will try to get better pictures. He has a decently full shape, but I can see his second (lower) lateral bone line occasionally, only when he is turning and flexing his body in such a way. Is that a concern? I am going to try to get a better picture right now as well.
Not sure if the video worked uploading it directly here so I am attaching a youtube link below:

OP
OP
bjonesq

bjonesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried Grindal worms? They're just a little larger than 'pods and their wriggling attracts most fish. Mine took to them fairly quickly, and then moved on to mysis from there.
I have not but have read about them on some threads! I'll do some more research!

OP
OP
bjonesq

bjonesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics I just snagged attempting to show his weight. I know he is a tad on the skinny side, at least for a male. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6518.jpg
    IMG_6518.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6520.jpg
    IMG_6520.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6521.jpg
    IMG_6521.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6522.jpg
    IMG_6522.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
bjonesq

bjonesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very cool!!! Great job with the training!!!
Did you use womans hose or some sort of mesh?
I have to try that.
Thank you!! I actually purchased the feeder from a user on the Humblefish forum that 3D printed it and with Paul B's advice, they cut open a RO/DI filter and used the internal (smaller) membrane that is cut to size with laser-cut holes to fit secure in the device. I would be happy to provide a link if you would like! Supposedly, using that filter membrane is a more permanent fix as it will not deteriorate in the tank and just needs to be periodically scrubbed for algae and can be consistently reused.

OP
OP
bjonesq

bjonesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin is a Pod elitist, he won't eat anything but pods. It doesn't matter the size of the pellet or whether I place it on a silver platter. He just eats pods lol
any take on the weight of my mandarin?

Back