Training For Hurricane Season

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of what data? Air temp? Water Temp? At what depth? Who's data?

You list Temps in Clearwater Fl ... which the last time I checked didn't have Indonesian coral growing in 10ft to 40ft of water.

I'm just asking for scientific proofs of cause/effect...not picking an argument with you

Last edited:
OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of what data? Air temp? Water Temp? At what depth? Who's data?

You list Temps in Clearwater Fl ... which the last time I checked didn't have Indonesian coral growing in 10ft to 40ft of water.

I'm just asking for scientific proofs of cause/effect...not picking an argument with you

No, I think you are trying to be unproductive clearly from the start. Unsurprisingly, you totally missed the point on Gulf Water Temperatures driving Hurricanes. Again to reiterate due to your unwillingness to read or draw connections, the point is to adjust the coral to the seasonal temperature differences from where they live to here, and get them use to a season cycle of a warmer period of 84 VS a typical constant 77-78F. Thereby adjusting them to when I expect power outages I won’t have a major jump of 6 or 7 degrees in 48 hours post storm. They will be able to tolerate the outage for longer while plans are made to save them or outage is no longer an issue.

Oh would you prefer if I use Florida Key’s data from John Pennekamp Coral National Park? See attached. Roughly same temperatures as Tampa’s. I’ve seen some nice huge colonies of endangered Acropora cervicornis at snorkeling depth in John Pennekamp in the Keys of Florida. I could literally scrape my body over the coral swimming over it so close to the surface. Go trash someone else’s thread.

Attachments

• F3A8479E-BCD2-44D5-83FE-6BB741D7F106.png
    F3A8479E-BCD2-44D5-83FE-6BB741D7F106.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 28

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some nice huge colonies of endangered Acropora cervicornis at snorkeling depth in John Pennekamp in the Keys of Florida. I could literally scrape my body over the coral swimming over it so close to the surface.
Gah please don't scrape your body on the acros in John pennekamp, they are on their way out as it it!

To play devil's advocate, If you're considering having a Honda 2kw generator, why not also buy a chiller?

I live in Boston where, believe it or not, most houses don't have central AC. I always run my tanks at 79.5 in the summer, just because I KNOW that on a hot day when my stupid window units cant hope to keep up, the tank will be in the low 80s. Better to have a minimal temp swing.

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface temperatures in Indonesia frequently reach 30 C (86 F) and rarely dip below 26.2 C (80 F). At depth I don't have any data handy, but my recollection of diving in Komodo was that most reef sites were 25 C or above even 20 meters down with the highest densities of branching stony corals closest to the surface. Some corals are definitely sometimes collected deeper but ocean temperatures, especially in a geography like Indonesia where currents from the Indian and Pacific oceans mix can fluctuate a fair bit.

I think before going as high as 30 C you'd want to dig as deep into what's known about the collection sites for the animals in your tank as possible to be safe, but it's not that outrageous. Practices in the hobby have been adopted to simplify things as much as possible, not necessarily to create perfect biotopes (you'd bet that corals collected from 40 meters don't get 150+ PAR for example).

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gah please don't scrape your body on the acros in John pennekamp, they are on their way out as it it!

To play devil's advocate, If you're considering having a Honda 2kw generator, why not also buy a chiller?

I live in Boston where, believe it or not, most houses don't have central AC. I always run my tanks at 79.5 in the summer, just because I KNOW that on a hot day when my stupid window units cant hope to keep up, the tank will be in the low 80s. Better to have a minimal temp swing.

oh totally, I stay arms lengths from those colonies. They are breathtakingly rare.

yes a chiller is in consideration. Likely just need something as a just in case solution. Otherwise I don’t need it nearly anytime else throughout the year.

Limited Ac’s in Boston. See totally makes sense. I know you guys get hot summer days too. Less to stress about a couple degree swing than a 7 degree swing.

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface temperatures in Indonesia frequently reach 30 C (86 F) and rarely dip below 26.2 C (80 F). At depth I don't have any data handy, but my recollection of diving in Komodo was that most reef sites were 25 C or above even 20 meters down with the highest densities of branching stony corals closest to the surface. Some corals are definitely sometimes collected deeper but ocean temperatures, especially in a geography like Indonesia where currents from the Indian and Pacific oceans mix can fluctuate a fair bit.

I think before going as high as 30 C you'd want to dig as deep into what's known about the collection sites for the animals in your tank as possible to be safe, but it's not that outrageous. Practices in the hobby have been adopted to simplify things as much as possible, not necessarily to create perfect biotopes (you'd bet that corals collected from 40 meters don't get 150+ PAR for example)

I don't plan getting to 86 F. I expect to hit that during an outage though. I don't keep Torches, Trachyphyllia or other LPS, both known to be collected in cooler water. Or deep water SPS. Everything is Staghorns and A. milleporas which are shallow water species. Encrusting monitoporas. The only thing I'd be concern with is plating species due to those being a deeper water coral, but be can found from 2 to 20 meters.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing you can do is have a generator or 2. Don’t rely on the whole home generator they are not very reliable after seeing how they performed during ida. And yea you can plan for a few days of no power but sometimes there’s nothing you can do. We were out of power for about 16 days and at that point it’s all luck and what resources you have available. I had a brand new generator full of gas sitting on my back patio and never got to use it due to being evacuated and not being able to come home. Some times you have to take the L in fish keeping.

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing you can do is have a generator or 2. Don’t rely on the whole home generator they are not very reliable after seeing how they performed during ida. And yea you can plan for a few days of no power but sometimes there’s nothing you can do. We were out of power for about 16 days and at that point it’s all luck and what resources you have available. I had a brand new generator full of gas sitting on my back patio and never got to use it due to being evacuated and not being able to come home. Some times you have to take the L in fish keeping.

Yeah man I feel that. The whole house generators I not meant to run that way. You have to change the oil every 48 hours. I am prepared for that. I have a huge 12,000 kW portable generator -- 712 cc, twin cylinder. It's pricy to run. So I was only running during the late evening.

But you cannot keep that up for days on end. That's why I am evaluating this strategy to help with heat stress on the corals -- for a least short periods. If they are use to it, like they are in the wild, then a season variation is fine. Whereas most reefers are running at 77 degrees, an 8 degree difference in a matter of hours is stressful. I will be running at 84.5 in the middle of next month for weeks because I worked up to this point. I hit 84.1 today. Corals look fine.

Again, its that threshold of you have to cross, how much more can I bare the expense and stress -- while dealing with a natural disaster on top of it. Last time it was 7 days and I had to cut it. I ended up not having power for 30 days. I couldn't live at my house at that point, especially with a young family. I had them put up out of state out of harms way. I dealt with the burden of cleaning up the disaster of broken glass and crap in the yard. Then still being responsible for work (I am in sales, my number never goes away). Threw my hands up and had to focus on what I could control within reason. So yeah after that crossing that threshold, I had to move on on. Basically bye bye corals at that point last year.

Hopefully no more serious hurricanes for a while and I will have better coral banking systems else where like out of state friends.

OP
OP
Biologic

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3085.JPG

I want to update everyone on this thread -- I successfully hit 85F in September for a day with averages in the mid 80's through out 24 hour period with no significant harm to the SPS in my tank. Also at this time I was running my tank at full spectrum with a Reefi-Uno at 180 watts of power. I would have thought this was the most brutal conditions that could possibly be given to these animals. Surprisingly, everything is fine.

As of right now in my seasonal Apex Table for temperature I am running around 79.5 on average throughout the day. I will continue on with these seasonal tables varying temperatures through the year and continue to monitor the color and health of the corals. My next seasonal low temperature will be 75.8F in February.

I think this will be useful for me personally mitigating the potentially negative effects of extreme weather experienced in my area.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s coming around to wet, heavy snow season for us, to knock the power out. I have a Deep Cycle 12 volt battery, set up to run some small pumps to keep the water moving. I’m trying to figure out what size Solar Charger would keep the battery up, with it having a load on it. Amazon has a 20 watt panel for $50.

Back