Training Powder Blue and Powder Brown to live together

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on getting my powder brown to accept a new powder blue to his home. :
Progression so far:
...first day, added 19 new fish to tank....(bought out a very pristine tank that was being taken down)
my powder brown went killer attack mode on the new P blue, blue went into hiding. Waited a day and close observation, blue was forced into hiding. The other 18 fish went unnoticed, no aggression at all was shown to any of the other new tankmates.
...second day, put eggcrate divider in center of tank,
...blue stayed in hiding, gradually came out to investigate over about a week or so.
...week three, blue & brown start to look at each other, nose to nose at eggcrate, seem to be calming out with each other.
...It will be four weeks on Monday, they seem to be calm with each other now, but have a divider between them, waiting to see what happens when I take the divider out, wonder how long to give it? I think another week or two divided, they are looking at each other and seem to be calm, but I don't think I trust the brown yet. Good news is that all 19 new additions are doing great, eating like pigs!

DSC_0583.jpg DSC_0565.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not train, more like letting them get used to each other in a gradual, peaceful way....
I don't know if it will work, but it looks promising ....crossing fingers.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are there Two powder blues in the same tank? One will most likely kill the other no matter what. The blue and the brown should be able to get along possibly, a third acanthurus may help. It’s definitely a risk no matter what though.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you’re going thru this. Luckily I’ve never had tang aggression last longer than a couple-3 days, and I have 9 of them. The first day is the worst as they all gang up on the new guy, but then it subsides by day 2-3. And this is with 3 zebrasomas, 3 acanthurus, 2 bristletooth and a hippo.

First day new guy gets all cut up, but none have died because of aggression. Good luck, I hope you get it worked out cuz PBTs are super nice. I’ve recently thought of adding a PBrT to my mix.

If I were you, I’d remove the crate and let them be. The PBrT will obviously get used to it and unless the PBT is dying, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Just me, I’d let them hash it out for a day and it should subside. At least that’s what happens in my tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are there Two powder blues in the same tank? One will most likely kill the other no matter what. The blue and the brown should be able to get along possibly, a third acanthurus may help. It’s definitely a risk no matter what though.
No, there is only 1 powder blue and 1 powder brown in the tank along with other tank mates...see photos on first post.

Others in tank:
Yellow Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Fox Face
2 Leopard wrasse
2 Clown
Royal Gramma
Firefish
3 Lyretail Anthias
9 Chromis
Blue cleaner wrasse
Pajama Cardinal

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a worst case scenario almost, but egg crate gives you a possible chance. They can hold grudges in perpetuity so hopefully they begin tolerating each other but it will likely be too much to ask when they’re both the only similarly shaped acanthurus in the tank. They may decide at a later date to slash each other up. I’d consider it likely depending on individual temperaments and your tank size.

What is the tank size?

This may be a good read for you, an article I wrote on tang aggression.

OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a worst case scenario almost, but egg crate gives you a possible chance. They can hold grudges in perpetuity so hopefully they begin tolerating each other but it will likely be too much to ask when they’re both the only similarly shaped acanthurus in the tank. They may decide at a later date to slash each other up. I’d consider it likely depending on individual temperaments and your tank size.

What is the tank size?

This may be a good read for you, an article I wrote on tang aggression.

I have already read it....thanks, very good info...My tank is a 6 ft 125 gal with a 40 gal sump.

I probably shouldn't of got the powder blue, but it was part of the tank teardown that I bought. I almost passed on it, but it was such a nice healthy tank that I couldn't pass it up.

Do you have ideas of how I can make their cohabitation more peaceful....they seem to be pretty mellow now, once in awhile the brown will charge at the blue, but the blue just seems to chill and not pay much attention to the brown. The new blue is larger than the brown.

My worry is when I pull the divider out...

DSC_0629.jpg

OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some shots of them chill'n
Plenty of hiding spots for them to play in.

DSC_0625.jpg DSC_0549.jpg DSC_0601.jpg DSC_0605.jpg DSC_0610.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wrong....only about 20 inch high .... 72x20x18 .... what is the gallons on that?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly other than what you’re doing and the article I don’t have anything else. I don’t think it’ll work long term, a 125 may not be enough space, IMO.

I wish you luck though I hope I am wrong!

OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly other than what you’re doing and the article I don’t have anything else. I don’t think it’ll work long term, a 125 may not be enough space, IMO.

I wish you luck though I hope I am wrong!
Thank you, ...time will tell, ... I might wind up rehoming the brown, .... wife loves the Powder Blue.

OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on getting my powder brown to accept a new powder blue to his home. :
Progression so far:
...first day, added 19 new fish to tank....(bought out a very pristine tank that was being taken down)
my powder brown went killer attack mode on the new P blue, blue went into hiding. Waited a day and close observation, blue was forced into hiding. The other 18 fish went unnoticed, no aggression at all was shown to any of the other new tankmates.
...second day, put eggcrate divider in center of tank,
...blue stayed in hiding, gradually came out to investigate over about a week or so.
...week three, blue & brown start to look at each other, nose to nose at eggcrate, seem to be calming out with each other.
...It will be four weeks on Monday, they seem to be calm with each other now, but have a divider between them, waiting to see what happens when I take the divider out, wonder how long to give it? I think another week or two divided, they are looking at each other and seem to be calm, but I don't think I trust the brown yet. Good news is that all 19 new additions are doing great, eating like pigs!

DSC_0583.jpg DSC_0565.jpg
@4FordFamily, @HotRocks , @saltyhog ... UPDATE:

...week four & five,
waiting game, let them see each other without getting at each other.
and then finally, week six pull the divider out and watch. They do their dancing and chasing, but not in killer attack mode.
It's been 4 days since I pulled the divider, and they are coexisting without much aggression. They still are doing a little dancing and charging, but not at all in killer mode like the first introduction. Neither one seems to be Top Dog, right now, they both stand their ground and seem to be getting along pretty good. I think it worked...still have my fingers crossed, don't want to jinx

DSC_0108.JPG DSC_0097.JPG

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rooting for you too! If it turns south it’ll happen quick and it’ll be too late for one or both in many cases. Hopefully you don’t have that issue, so far so good. Pulling for you!

Back