Training Powder Blue and Powder Brown to live together

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also...

in my current system, I have a medium-sized pbt now and I have a small mirror set up on the end of my dt just to keep his non-sense to a minimum. He's in a 90g with a naso and hippo and he's gone after both of them in the past just because he's an a - h o l e. I'm also able to continue to add other fish to the tank after he's been established in there and not have him kill them since he's too busy killing the pbt in the mirror all day lol

dcc0011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also...

in my current system, I have a medium-sized pbt now and I have a small mirror set up on the end of my dt just to keep his non-sense to a minimum. He's in a 90g with a naso and hippo and he's gone after both of them in the past just because he's an a - h o l e. I'm also able to continue to add other fish to the tank after he's been established in there and not have him kill them since he's too busy killing the pbt in the mirror all day lol
aggression seems to be at a minimum and my little hippo tang is out of hiding and swimming around. I have more rockwork being delivered today to give more cover. I haven’t glued any rockwork yet so I’m able to change it up giving them a feeling of a different tank. It really stinks that pet shops do not quarantine I had to do the tank swap method to rid ich and velvet from all these fish. Though that worked well it makes it super difficult to “add them all at the same time”. I had a heater failure in the tank with the powder brown and hippo and wasn’t comfortable moving them to the display for another week. Yeah the powder blue could have remained in quarantine but I got him a 2 weeks before the others so he was already in 2 weeks extra and I was growing tired of cleaning out two 10 gallon tanks and sanitizing equipment just to let it dry 24 hours to do it all again while working 70 hours a week. So that’s where I’m at today and hopefully the aggression stays at this level today practically 0

dcc0011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8FA101C2-4941-40B4-AE3F-1ECAA78ACA71.jpeg

0E0B9FF7-0179-4D68-B0C5-75E13A45FDD3.jpeg

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an icecap acclimation box for all new additions in my DT. My neon dottyback was the first in the pool (absolute jerk), and I successfully added a pair of clowns, tomini tang, foxface, flasher wrasse and have a flame hawk in the box now. Usually after being in the box for 3-4 days there are no more issues. I've had aggression problems with the dottyback and flasher wrasse (so the wrasse went in the box for 5 days) and after leaving the box the dottyback ignored him. I had issues with the tang and the flame hawk so the hawk is in the box for a couple days. So far it has worked.

dcc0011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More rock added today. Not saying this is how it will remain but I focused on lots of swim throughs. Aggression is still at a minimum and dropped even more adding rock. I’m lucky to not have an established reef aquarium at this point I can change the rockwork easily and make it a new tank for them.
image.jpg

aquatic_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 4 tangs at the same time. Powder blue, powder brown, hippo, and hybrid yellow. I don’t see any aggression between any of them, with the exception of powder blue and brown, they don’t attack each other, just do a circle dance and chase each other from time to time, but no injuries so far, been 2 weeks. They seem to leave each other alone most of the time.

mshonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely possible. I did it. I did not add the divider and mine all swim together. Very rarely do they chase each other and it is short lived. I have a 180g and provide a variety in diet. In fact I really pushed it I have 5 tangs scopas, mimic, p. brown, p. blue, and a lavender. You are supposed to stay away from same body type or more specifically avoid the same genus but I have four (mimic, p. brown, p. blue, and a lavender) that are the same genus, Acanthurus. I think I am at 3 months with all of them. Heck, I also have two male mandarin in there and they are fine as well. The mandarin have been in the tank for about 6 months. on a note someone sold one to me insisting theat it was female after it was in the tank realized it wasn't.

Don't Mind My Dirty Glass

aquatic_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. My powder brown started being very aggressive towards the powder blue, so I added a mirror which distracted the brown. However, when I was out of town for the weekend, I saw on my camera that the brown was no longer interested in the mirror and was going after the blue. Unfortunately I came back home and the blue was no where to be found.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. My powder brown started being very aggressive towards the powder blue, so I added a mirror which distracted the brown. However, when I was out of town for the weekend, I saw on my camera that the brown was no longer interested in the mirror and was going after the blue. Unfortunately I came back home and the blue was no where to be found.
It’s sad to hear you can’t find your powder blue but in all honesty we were expecting this to happen much faster, these two tangs are in a complex which though usually in the tang world a complex wouldn’t mean much… in the wrasse world it means everything and the biggest rule is not to mix two from the same complex.

I don’t mean for this to sound rude in any way, and truly I am sorry for the missing blue. Have you checked absolutely everywhere to make sure it’s not hiding?

aquatic_dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s sad to hear you can’t find your powder blue but in all honesty we were expecting this to happen much faster, these two tangs are in a complex which though usually in the tang world a complex wouldn’t mean much… in the wrasse world it means everything and the biggest rule is not to mix two from the same complex.

I don’t mean for this to sound rude in any way, and truly I am sorry for the missing blue. Have you checked absolutely everywhere to make sure it’s not hiding?
Thank you and it was an expensive lesson, besides feeling terrible as these are my pets and I want to provide a good environment for them to live in. It’s been a few weeks now, so declaring him dead and probably remains eaten by cuc.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back