Transferring coral frags to my new setup

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI R2R family, I want some help regarding tank transfer process. I have couple of frags which have bubble algae and digitate hydroids (assumption) on it. But I want to reuse these corals and safely add them to the new setup. How do I make sure I don't transfer these pests over to the new aquarium? Should I literally follow coral quarantining process like dipping and examining the frags before I make the final move? What all can I use to dip these frags to make sure I am clean when doing the transfer? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI R2R family, I want some help regarding tank transfer process. I have couple of frags which have bubble algae and digitate hydroids (assumption) on it. But I want to reuse these corals and safely add them to the new setup. How do I make sure I don't transfer these pests over to the new aquarium? Should I literally follow coral quarantining process like dipping and examining the frags before I make the final move? What all can I use to dip these frags to make sure I am clean when doing the transfer? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Yes, how is your one setup any different from any other source for corals - except you already know and acknowledge your original tank has things you don't want to move (usually we just get unpleasant surprises found in bottom of dip(s) strainer)

Watch the BRS 'best of dip" video - algae isn't even one of the things any of the three types of dip treat (notice dips don't kill anything...). Instead regarding algae hydrogen peroxide on frag plug or better yet get rid of frag but do NOT get hydrogen peroxide on coral itself as it will kill coral

BRS video will give you breakdown of different brands into the three types of dips, but fourth type could be hydrogen peroxide and then 5th type could be pesticide like Bayer.

Anytime introducing anything new is risky time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back