Transferring fish & softies to bigger tank

bfd211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Relatively still new to the hobby. The R2R family was great to me when I was starting up my Biocube 32 back in Jan '21. Amazing show of support and tons of great advice ...but I need you again! I pulled the trigger on a Red Sea Reefer 350 Deluxe ( 73 gal). I am going to try to set it all up this weekend. I was told by my LFS that I could just transfer all my fish, rock and softies over to the bigger tank as long as I got the temp, PH and salinity in the 73-gal as close to the current readings on the Biocube 32 as possible. In other words, I did not have to wait to cycle the big tank. Just move stuff in and that the bio filter on my rocks, chaeto and exisiting bio balls would kick start bio-filtration in the bigger tank. They told me that clean, new salt water with the new sump, and protein skimmer would make for a seamless transfer. What about acclimation for the fish and corals? Thoughts, advice, confirmations please ??!

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One suggestion: Do your acclimation step in your existing Biocube. What I mean is do a few water changes in your Biocube with the same new water that is going into your Red Sea Reefer. When everything moves over, which will be traumatic enough, everything will already be used to the new water.

OP
OP
bfd211

bfd211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One suggestion: Do your acclimation step in your existing Biocube. What I mean is do a few water changes in your Biocube with the same new water that is going into your Red Sea Reefer. When everything moves over, which will be traumatic enough, everything will already be used to the new water.
That’s great advice. I never thought of that. Thank you so much.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats solid advice right there.

Add to it. Transfer bio media to the new tank as well this will help to establish bio. Also use all the rock from the 32 in the new tank. Thats where most of you bio filter is. You won't have a cycle.

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same upgrade 6 weeks ago. Set up a max s400 with new sand and some new dry rock. Immediately move some of the rock from biocube. Seeded new tank with dr. Tims left it run with lights out for about 10 days. Then moved the rest of rock, corals and fish from cube to new tank. New tank is doing great and my LFS gave me a good trade in for biocube which is where i bought it in January. Also got the max s400 from same LFS.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back