Transferring from QT to Display Tank. What are your methods?

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers!
My pair of clowns will be finishing up their quarantine period next week. These will be my first fish into the main display tank.

What is your process to transfer them into the main tank besides matching temp. If the salinity and temp matches, can I just plop them in?
Should I drip acclimate?

Also, when I'm transferring new fish after the clowns are in, are there some other measures I need to take to acclimate them into the display tank?

Thank you!

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If salinity and temp in the QT are the same as the DT, I just drop them in. It's worked for me for years and dozens of fish.

After the first fish are in the tank, I usually use an isolation tank to introduce new(er) fish. I've got a 2-3 gallon critter keeper that I drilled extra holes in the side to allow for water flow in/out. I sit it in the tank, with the rim of the critter keeper resting on my eurobracing. New fish stay in it for 3ish days. I've found it noticeably reduces the aggression from the fish already in the DT. Again, as far as water chemistry acclimation, I don't.

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If salinity and temp in the QT are the same as the DT, I just drop them in. It's worked for me for years and dozens of fish.

After the first fish are in the tank, I usually use an isolation tank to introduce new(er) fish. I've got a 2-3 gallon critter keeper that I drilled extra holes in the side to allow for water flow in/out. I sit it in the tank, with the rim of the critter keeper resting on my eurobracing. New fish stay in it for 3ish days. I've found it noticeably reduces the aggression from the fish already in the DT. Again, as far as water chemistry acclimation, I don't.
Thanks for sharing your method. I'll go pick up something for an acclimation box. Do you notice the other fish go up to the box and inspect the new members waiting to get in?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity and temp for sure. I add after lights out. Unless you have a lot of aggressive fish an isolation box shouldnt be necessary. The mean fish I have just ignore new fish in my acclimation box until I release the fish then they tear him to shreds

OP
OP
H

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity and temp for sure. I add after lights out. Unless you have a lot of aggressive fish an isolation box shouldnt be necessary. The mean fish I have just ignore new fish in my acclimation box until I release the fish then they tear him to shreds
Oh man. That doesn't sound good

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your method. I'll go pick up something for an acclimation box. Do you notice the other fish go up to the box and inspect the new members waiting to get in?
Sometimes. It’s not a hugely noticeable activity. But it’s worked for me. I’ve done it both ways, with and without 3 days in the isolation tank. Much better results using it.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 6 or 7 tangs too, including 2 yellows and a powder blue. The yellows seem to be the worst at being nice to new fish.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start my fish in QT at ~1.020 and gradually raise salinity to match the DT over 2 weeks. We have a pretty good supply chain Down Under so I don’t prophylactically treat anything, just monitor. After 2 weeks if they are ok I do a quick (20 min) drip acclimate to match other parameters and into the DT they go.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a water change on your DT. Over the next few days use the DT water and do several water changes in your QT. Do this till salinity is identical. Once the QT water is the same salinity and temp, capture fish and put them in DT.
One day prior to adding new fish tape 2 mirrors to the side of your DT facing the fish. The aggressive fish will wear themselves out attacking the mirror image.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back