Transferring Mangroves From Saltwater to Freshwater

joshthathobbiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Apologies if this has been asked before as I’m sure my scouring of the forums didn’t cover EVERY thread that talks about mangroves, but does anyone know if mangrove trees can be moved directly from saltwater into freshwater? I have one that’s been growing in full strength saltwater for about a year but I have a whole lot more freshwater tanks than saltwater and I think I can better utilize it aesthetically in one of them. I know I’ve heard that if you damage a root, you need to put it straight into freshwater but I’m not clear on if that’s a last-ditch effort that it MIGHT survive or if it’s really an easy transition for the tree. I suspect, given how much more hospitable freshwater is for a plant than saltwater, that there would be no issue but it’s my only mangrove and since I’ve gotten a year’s worth of growth out of it, I’d rather not kill it and have to start over with a new one. Thanks in advance for any info you may have!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t have experience with this, but this article may be a helpful read

OP
OP
J

joshthathobbiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have experience with this, but this article may be a helpful read

Thanks! I wish I could find something that specifically gives me the OK to go straight to freshwater but everything does at least seem to insinuate it so I’m just going to go for it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it turn out?
If I am you, I would gradually change the water from salt to fresh water. I would not change it abruptly. Even if you change it slowly, there is good chance that it would shed all of its leaves and would grow new ones if it survives.

Back