Transition to Corals with Radion XR30 Gen 5 Blues

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s time to start adding corals to my system. I plan of starting with some Zoanthids and maybe a hammer coral. I’ll wait a couple more months before I start putting in the Acro’s. The display is a WaterBox 220.6 (72 x 24 x 22.5). There are four Radion XR30 G5 Blue fixtures.

up until now I’ve had the lights set fairly low to keep the algae growth down while things stabilize. Greens, reds and whites are less than 5%. Schedule is below:
A80F5F3F-543D-48E4-BC92-8C7C89F0D5C6.png

The schedule is one I set up when I turned the lights on. Now that I’m adding some corals (non SPS) I’m needing some guidance on how to set the lights for the corals. Should I just increase the intensity of what I have, or move to a preprogrammed setup like AB+ with l lower overall intensity. I’m out of my comfort zone and need some help.

Jetson

54B1C06D-4EE4-4089-B690-6B7E2DBFC820.jpeg

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I have the lights right now. It’s pretty blue.

5ABDF7D8-1F3A-4B68-A93B-E041CBA510E0.png

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AB profile is a proven spectrum so it would take some guess work out of the equation. Then just raise the power level as needed down the road.

I personally liked the LPS/Soft profile color a little better when I used G5s but I also have an LPS/Euphyllia dominate system.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AB profile is a proven spectrum so it would take some guess work out of the equation. Then just raise the power level as needed down the road.

I personally liked the LPS/Soft profile color a little better when I used G5s but I also have an LPS/Euphyllia dominate system.
Maybe the LPS/Soft is what I should try first. Acro’s are still a couple of months away. I just don’t want to blast the tank with too much light and force an algae bloom.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the LPS/Soft is what I should try first. Acro’s are still a couple of months away. I just don’t want to blast the tank with too much light and force an algae bloom.
I wouldn't rush acros especially if the tank hasn't been blasted with 300+ par for months, you don't want to wait to increase par until the day you add a bunch of sticks and end up with a bloom then either.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't rush acros especially if the tank hasn't been blasted with 300+ par for months, you don't want to wait to increase par until the day you add a bunch of sticks and end up with a bloom then.
Yes, you are reading my mind. The guidance I’ve gotten it go slow and don’t put in too much light. Well, when is it time to ramp up? With thought of prepping for SPS, seems like I should go ahead with AB+ and start, say at 35% and raise it a few % each week. That way I can see how I like it and it gets some light in the tank. Right now there is zero coraline growing, so it seems it’s time to increase the light. Tank has been running since early April.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t blast the tank/rock/water/ sand with “too much” light. Only corals would suffer from too much light. You’ll get algae blooms but a good clean up crew should be able to keep things in check.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t blast the tank/rock/water/ sand with “too much” light. Only corals would suffer from too much light. You’ll get algae blooms but a good clean up crew should be able to keep things in check.
Well, I guess it’s time to add some light. I’ve got four tangs and a bunch of snails. Snails cleaned up most of the diatoms from my inital bloom in a week. They would probably like some more light.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are reading my mind. The guidance I’ve gotten it go slow and don’t put in too much light. Well, when is it time to ramp up? With thought of prepping for SPS, seems like I should go ahead with AB+ and start, say at 35% and raise it a few % each week. That way I can see how I like it and it gets some light in the tank. Right now there is zero coraline growing, so it seems it’s time to increase the light. Tank has been running since early April.
When I started adding corals and turned my radions on I went with AB plus program at 30% and gradually increased from there. Now a year later with a full mixed reef I run the same program at 70% intensity.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started adding corals and turned my radions on I went with AB plus program at 30% and gradually increased from there. Now a year later with a full mixed reef I run the same program at 70% intensity.
Thank you. I’m playing around with it. I switched from what I was doing to the LPS/soft program for now. I stretched it out a little and lowered it to 30% intensity. I’m going to try and slowly ramp this up to the AB+ so the fish and CUC can keep up with the inevitable increase in algae growth. I love the increased brightness that gives me already. The three tangs (purple, PB, Hippo) were introduced together yesterday. They seem to be happy together.
BF82A4DC-53EC-47AD-94FA-245B8A1751F5.jpeg
F3A8D493-9465-4FE5-93AC-408BB4777633.jpeg

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your doing the right thing right now, just slowly ramp up until you get to your desired par and then once the tank is stable at the level you’re good to go! Radions have a acclimation mode that I like to use for this.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your doing the right thing right now, just slowly ramp nt.up until you get to your desired par and then once the tank is stable at the level you’re good to go! Radions have a acclimation mode that I like to use for this.
Thanks Vested. I’ve seen that Acclimation button up there, buy haven’t read up on how it works. its funny, but since I’ve had the lights at low settings and all blue for four months, it looks scary bright now with just a little tweak up. Will take some getting used to. One thing I immediately noticed though was all the fish are more active. They seem to like it. They are all visiting areas of the tank they have never been in before. Pretty cool.

Oh, and just wanted to say, your Avatar is awesome. Can’t help but wonder what that cat is thinking.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vested. I’ve seen that Acclimation button up there, buy haven’t read up on how it works. its funny, but since I’ve had the lights at low settings and all blue for four months, it looks scary bright now with just a little tweak up. Will take some getting used to. One thing I immediately noticed though was all the fish are more active. They seem to like it. They are all visiting areas of the tank they have never been in before. Pretty cool.

Oh, and just wanted to say, your Avatar is awesome. Can’t help but wonder what that cat is thinking.
Lol thanks, glad the fish are liking it! I love when fish start to get comfortable enough to explore. The acclimation mode is really useful you just setup your lights how you ultimately want them to be and enable acclimation where you choose the percetange to start at and go up to in x days.

So for example say I have my lights setup on my ideal program at 300 par, I add some new coral that I want to acclimate to this light so Id set it at 50% for 30 days or something. Over the 30 days it will automatically slowly raise the intensity percentage from 50-100.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thanks, glad the fish are liking it! I love when fish start to get comfortable enough to explore. The acclimation mode is really useful you just setup your lights how you ultimately want them to be and enable acclimation where you choose the percetange to start at and go up to in x days.

So for example say I have my lights setup on my ideal program at 300 par, I add some new coral that I want to acclimate to this light so Id set it at 50% for 30 days or something. Over the 30 days it will automatically slowly raise the intensity percentage from 50-100.
Great. Sounds like a good plan. I’ll work it in when I graduate to SPS. WWC is “my local fish store”. Lol! They have been great guiding me through everything. I’ll be getting my first coral from them Tomorrow. I think they are going move me toward one of their mobius programs they use to start my corals. Probably their mixed reef one. it’s been great working with them. They won’t let me get to far ahead of myself. It’s exciting to finally get to the coral stage.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do more than 2-3% per week. You have the right idea I think. 4 xr30s is a ton of light - acros are adaptable and can survive fine in lower light (albeit will start browning) but too high can cause damage quickly, and those are powerful lights.

Back