Transitioning from Fowlr to Mixed Reef Tank

MrChris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am planning on transitioning from the Fowlr , to corals and fish soon.
My tank has been running at 1.022 SG.

My question is what is the best way to increase the SG, CA, and MG?
Is this something that should be done slowly to acclimate the fish?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes...my recommendation is to do it slowly. You can start doing small(ish) water changes with a higher salinity or start using salt water as your top off water instead of RODI.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am planning on transitioning from the Fowlr , to corals and fish soon.
My tank has been running at 1.022 SG.

My question is what is the best way to increase the SG, CA, and MG?
Is this something that should be done slowly to acclimate the fish?

As DBL said; water changes with elevated SG over time will bring up your SG in the tank. I personally maintain 35ppt, which I believe is about 1.026. And of course, do it SLOWLY so your fish can adjust to the elevating SG.

Some other questions:

- How big is the tank?
- How is the flow in your tank?
- What kind of lighting do you have?
- Which salt mix do you use?

When it comes to things like ALK, CA and MG, I'd test to see the levels when you have reached your target SG. Many mixes often supplement so that you maintain good levels just by doing water changes.

OP
OP
M

MrChris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As DBL said; water changes with elevated SG over time will bring up your SG in the tank. I personally maintain 35ppt, which I believe is about 1.026. And of course, do it SLOWLY so your fish can adjust to the elevating SG.

Some other questions:

- How big is the tank?
- How is the flow in your tank?
- What kind of lighting do you have?
- Which salt mix do you use?

When it comes to things like ALK, CA and MG, I'd test to see the levels when you have reached your target SG. Many mixes often supplement so that you maintain good levels just by doing water changes.
The tank is 75 gal with a 20 long sump / fuge.

For flow I have 3100 gph worth of powerheads in there now plus whatever I am getting from my return pump. Not sure on the number there.
I am getting ready to purchase lighting. I am going with 2 viparspectra Wi-Fi black boxes for now until I can afford to upgrade later.
I am using Kent Reef Salt right now. Considered switching to reef crystals, however I am getting this kent stuff for 45 bucks after tax for a 200g box.
I am planning on doing a mixed reef with approx 70% LPS, 20% SPS and 10% Soft Corals.
The tank currently has a good amount of rock, a pair of clowns, a yellow tang, a banghai cardinal, 2 staghorn damsels, and a yellow tail damsel.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For flow I have 3100 gph worth of powerheads in there now plus whatever I am getting from my return pump. Not sure on the number there.
I am getting ready to purchase lighting. I am going with 2 viparspectra Wi-Fi black boxes for now until I can afford to upgrade later.
I am using Kent Reef Salt right now. Considered switching to reef crystals, however I am getting this kent stuff for 45 bucks after tax for a 200g box.
I am planning on doing a mixed reef with approx 70% LPS, 20% SPS and 10% Soft Corals.
The tank currently has a good amount of rock, a pair of clowns, a yellow tang, a banghai cardinal, 2 staghorn damsels, and a yellow tail damsel.

It seems like you're in good shape. I'm familiar with the Viparspectra and considered the light myself. I have 2 friends that use them with good results. Just be patient and go slow.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It seems like you're in good shape. I'm familiar with the Viparspectra and considered the light myself. I have 2 friends that use them with good results. Just be patient and go slow.

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started adding coral to my newest tank. The absorption of calcium was rather high and i was sick of dosing daily so i got a dosing pump, but the best thing to do is monitor the 3 and add supplements as needed.

OP
OP
M

MrChris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what good lighting grows? Algae. I would suggest checking your nutrient levels (NO3 and PO4) and ensuring they are under control before cranking up your lighting.
Nitrates are between 0 and 5, and phosphates are at 0. I am running a skimmer, gfo reactor and carbon reactor.
I also have chaeto in the fudge as well.

OP
OP
M

MrChris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started adding coral to my newest tank. The absorption of calcium was rather high and i was sick of dosing daily so i got a dosing pump, but the best thing to do is monitor the 3 and add supplements as needed.
Thanks!! I am planning to dose kalk in my ago so hopefully that will keep everything in check.

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any experience with Kalk. I agree with the lighting. Start low and see how your coral reacts. Another big thing is run time. Running it to long will give you algae. Too short and your corals won't be happy. I run mine for six hours with an additional 2 hour ramp up and ramp down time each. That is my $0.02

Last edited:

Jmareef1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just top off with salt water till you reach 1.026 then maintain. Keep up on wc and the main three should stay stable so you can maintain coral. All this considering all fish are reef safe. GL Jose

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back