Transplanting coral from a tank with velvet to a new tank

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I unfortunately got velvet in my main display tank which wiped out all the fish before I had a chance to treat it. I decided to set up a new smaller tank while the fallow period is progressing. After adding some really nice live rock yesterday I started thinking about how nice a few of my corals would look if I were to transplant them from the infected tank to the new tank after it cycles. I do plan on having a few fish though so I can't afford to contaminate this tank with velvet. Is there any way to transfer coral from the sick tank to a new tank without contaminating it?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be safe, don't transfer anything from the infected tank to the new tank until after the fallow period. It's not worth the risk only to have a coral in the new tank a few weeks earlier.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be safe, don't transfer anything from the infected tank to the new tank until after the fallow period. It's not worth the risk only to have a coral in the new tank a few weeks earlier.
I agree with that...I wasn't sure if maybe there was some medication that would kill all the parasites on the coral but leave the coral doing well...now that I rethink it, I"ll just be patient.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Fallow period for Velvet is 6 weeks. Not worth it. Just wait it out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back