Travel plans: How do you prepare to be away from your tank during the holidays?

How do you prepare to be away from your tank during the holidays?

• water change

Votes: 103 43.6%
  • maintenance of pumps and more

Votes: 65 27.5%
  • redundancy wherever possible

Votes: 79 33.5%
  • automation and cameras

Votes: 114 48.3%
  • coordinate someone to care for the aquarium

Votes: 134 56.8%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 15 6.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Travel plans: How do you prepare to be away from your tank during the holidays?

Do you love traveling during the holiday season? Or maybe you are forced kicking-and-screaming to travel anyway? Either way, you may find yourself dealing with a bit of travel anxiety especially related to your reef tank. Now that your tree has been decorated with your favorite reef ornaments and travel plans have been made, how do you prepare to be away from your tank during the holidays? Do you need to have someone take care of the tank or is there a risk of them creating issues with the tank? Are you supposed to do water changes and clean/service all of the equipment before you leave or do you risk an issue with that too? Is automation and redundancy the answer? Please tell us about your holiday travel prep and share any tips that you may have!

jurgenphChTree.jpeg

Photo by @jurgenph

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot travel for longer than 2 days because I have so many tanks and pets. If I did, however, a full time housesitter would be required. Also cameras and automation helps.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't ever do anything "chemically" with the tank. Then I use automation, cameras and family!

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always go kicking and screaming on the holidays. feed a bit more than usual a few days before, water change, top off ato, then go. I'm really not happy that family is forcing me to go visit the night there is a freeze and I won't be back for a few days. If things go south I can't fix it.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 Gallons Fresh water made up, 50 Gallons salt made up, all with controllable pumps for moving water to sump, Neptune Apex with email and text alerts, 30kw whole house generator connected to 1000 gallon propane, 8 Wyze cams, with the main pumps on smart controller from Control4 Home automation, 2 float switches on sump for high low warnings with auto pump shutoffs, 4 float switches on main display connected to feed pumps to sense over flow.
Im pretty covered, Engineer brother in law on speed dial.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the perks of running a calcium reactor and my auto feeding system is that this isn't much of a worry to me. I have cameras and the Apex to ensure this so I can have the neighbor troubleshoot if necessary.

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is small, so 3 gallon water change and I plan to run my Avast Plank. I still need to test that to make sure I have the timers set right. I tried so hard to find a timer that ran in seconds instead of minutes, then I plugged the barrel in for the first time and realized just how low they have it geared.

So now I am going to use Samsung SmartThings and two smart plugs to turn on the mixing chamber for 30 minutes, then that triggers the feeding barrel auger for a minute.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not leaving town. STILL!! I just ran a full breakdown and soak of my protein skimmer and it works like brand new! Who would have thought? I have also done one of my powerheads but I don't know how to get my other one out to clean. If you haven't soaked your protein skimmer or pumps in the last year, you should maybe look into it.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally when we left we had somebody stay for the dogs and also feed the tank.

We also had cameras and a controller connected so I can check on it.

Normally my MIL would stay, but when we went somewhere with her, we'd board the dogs and then have somebody come over 2x a day to feed. I'd have all the food in little dishes in the freezer and they'd just thaw and dump in.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the replies above it is clear, but no one has said it; "The tank always goes south if I do."
Besides, I can't go on vacations my fish would miss me too much.
Fail Found Footage GIF by Eternal Family

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No changes or new equipment installed two weeks prior
Empty Skimmer Cup
Fish Feeders installed and tested two days prior
AWC (auto water change) system turned off, so no accidents while away
ATO (auto top off) system checked for any issues
Check ALK / Cal dosing containers are full
Wifi Cameras installed in front and pointing at controllers
Passwords for all devices and cameras saved in phone, so I can do a daily check while away.
Check that the furnace oil tank is full

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Id make sure all the equipment is plugged in and functioning properly. No maintenance cause of it goes down while away no bueno. Water change few days before and test for stability and baseline. then set up the dosing amounts per for the sitter when they feed the tank.

Back