Travel tip - Island off the coast of Belize to stay - great reef

Eyedogtor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all,

Just a quick note to say that our family just returned from a trip to an atoll about 35 min from Placencia, Belize. We had a great time - totally alone on the small island consisting of one house (sleeps 6). We explored for 4-5 hrs a day and it never got old.....Sharks....Morays.....inverts...untouched soft and hard corals....octopi......etc. I put some pics together in a google album. Not sure if I am supposed to name the place in a post - but feel free to reach out if you are interested. Great family vacation for reefers ;-)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vvekjw5DEnnH8Gwy8

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks for sharing. Looks totally fabulous.
I never been but my dad went to Belize there for training in the army and said beautiful country. Would love to go diving on a reef.not been carribean for few years but now daughter 4 we may go next year as wont be as bad on the long flight for her or us lol
I been told carribean reefs not as good as others but for first time im sure it suffice

OP
OP
E

Eyedogtor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks for sharing. Looks totally fabulous.
I never been but my dad went to Belize there for training in the army and said beautiful country. Would love to go diving on a reef.not been carribean for few years but now daughter 4 we may go next year as wont be as bad on the long flight for her or us lol
I been told carribean reefs not as good as others but for first time im sure it suffice
Hey there,

Thanks. For the Caribbean, I think the mesoamerican reef system is very good (second largest in the world) - and IMO, Roatan and Belize are best to experience it. South Pacific I think is the pinnacle - but the Caribbean has a ton to offer in the right areas. My daughter started snorkeling very young, so I hope you guys get to go!

OP
OP
E

Eyedogtor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing!! Mind sharing cost of a trip like that?
Hey there,

Cost to rent the island is about $695-$895 per night (depending on the number of people), plus groceries, beverages, and ice that you grab before heading over (we had a group of 5 and spent about $450 for 6 days), and then airfare/travel (boat from Placencia to the island is included). Overall, with a small group, it is pretty reasonable for the experience!

Hope that helps!

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

Cost to rent the island is about $695-$895 per night (depending on the number of people), plus groceries, beverages, and ice that you grab before heading over (we had a group of 5 and spent about $450 for 6 days), and then airfare/travel (boat from Placencia to the island is included). Overall, with a small group, it is pretty reasonable for the experience!

Hope that helps!
Where does one go to rent this place!? I found my next vacation!!

OP
OP
E

Eyedogtor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does one go to rent this place!? I found my next vacation!!
lol, well, here is the link (I assume it is OK to share - I have no affiliation). It is rustic (the owner describes it as Robinson Crusoe), and it is off-grid with solar, no AC (don't need it with the constant trade winds), etc - but it has bathrooms, a fully stocked kitchen, and Wi-Fi....so..... ;-)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

Thanks. For the Caribbean, I think the mesoamerican reef system is very good (second largest in the world) - and IMO, Roatan and Belize are best to experience it. South Pacific I think is the pinnacle - but the Caribbean has a ton to offer in the right areas. My daughter started snorkeling very young, so I hope you guys get to go!
As good as worlds 2nd largest reef sounds i doubt ever go there.i was thinking just more simplier like going one of the carribean countries like st lucia/jamaica/dominican republic/barbodas and aslong as the mrs ok with holiday/hotel etc then i just go out for the day on diving excursion or even snorkelling do it for me.
Closest ive been is went out in a single kayak amd a couple i met on the holiday i said lets go out where them big white waves are,long story short it didnt end well as got swept out quite far and all whilst mrs sunbathing for over 5 hours at side of pool and didn't think to raise the alarm,the couples kayak had rope attached at front so could pull onto the beach but also had like a little stopper under water line also with rope attached,turns out someone before them we think pulled stopper out and kayak filled half with water ( didnt fi3bd out till got back) and them big white waves kept capsizing there double kayak and one of them could get on but not both, they tried for ages.the guy ended up swimming pushing the kayak back quite some miles while i was infront pulling in my kayak until he got tired and he tried jumping in my kayak and pulling us but had no energy so i ended saying right im in better shape than you as your knackered let me get back in kayak and i pull both off you while he just holded on.
He ended up with cut feet/legs from the corals and head/neck /back red roar from the sun and ended up with sunstroke and ended up in hospital for 4 days lol.

But i got to see the reef so wasnt a conplete failure lol.finally got back and after waited there while staff took guy to front reception and waited for ambulance i went and seen mrs and said " oi you didnt you think to raise alarm we been gone 6 hours now and was 5 hours out at sea nearly in total dire straits" her reply was no as i know you always go on your adventures and are ages pffft.
Guy made a good recovery we found out by mrs facebooking the girl after we got back home but surprisingly didn't keep intouch after that and didnt go for round 2 lol.
But next holiday i said to mrs im going hire a jet ski and go to that island over there.should only take 15 minutes,after about 30 minutes i decided waves to big for jet ski and quite frankly got scared i turned back and wasnt even quarter way there at a guess and half way back i seen one the guys who owns the jet skis coming out on another jetski very slowly saying are you mad you could killed yourself.
I just said yeah sorry but will race you back lol then took off.
I know not smartest of ideas ( both) but i had fun but dont advise it as well just because obvious ^_^

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, well, here is the link (I assume it is OK to share - I have no affiliation). It is rustic (the owner describes it as Robinson Crusoe), and it is off-grid with solar, no AC (don't need it with the constant trade winds), etc - but it has bathrooms, a fully stocked kitchen, and Wi-Fi....so..... ;-)

Nice Ive used AirBnB with good results in the past, never really thought to look for anything like this!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 36.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 52 29.2%
Back