Treated cyano with chemiclean. How did you guys resolve this issue.

djwasimani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so i am posting an old picture. when i had issue with cyanobacteria. I used the chemiclean and it sure did work without loosing any fishes.
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first approach would be 15 % water changes every3 to 4 days . Do you run an ro unit ? if you do i would test the water coming out . Also cut back on feeding , that would be a good start .

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I see it start to show up I suck it out, and up the flow. Never had a major outbreak.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many strains of cyanobacteria that one method won't fix every outbreak. Even Chemiclean isn't effective against every strain.

For many strains that form the dense mats, they can be eliminated by raising nitrates above 3ppm and breaking up/siphoning out the mats one or two times a day.

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used chemiclean a few times during my Cyano battle. Visually the results are astounding. Never saw the tank lion so clean afterwards. Of course it hasn't solved my problem. I'm now learning I need to keep NO3 and PO4 balanced and not zero just like for Dino's.

But back to the post. While visually it did a great job at the Dino's and i lost no fish or corals, I have a feeling it did damage to my system. To the things I can't see. May have killed some shrimp. Probably did a number on the microfauna that I needed to keep Things in balance.

As such I'll never use again. Will continue to siphon. However that alone has not worked for me in the 6+ months of battling it. Manual removal and measurement/manipulation of NO3 and PO4 seems to be a better approach.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're never going to completely eliminate cyano, it's always going to be there, however it's a crutch which can help you get over the hump. After Chemiclean you may get other nuisance algaes like Dinos etc... which can be a pain, so changing nutrient input/output, flow and maintenance cycles is important to have a long term solution. I had Dinos so bad after one Chemiclean incident that I bought a UV sterilizer, which helped somewhat, but nothing is a permanent fix, but I've never heard of anyone losing anything from it directly, so I will continue to use it if necessary.

OP
OP
D

djwasimani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first approach would be 15 % water changes every3 to 4 days . Do you run an ro unit ? if you do i would test the water coming out . Also cut back on feeding , that would be a good start .
Yes thats how I came over the problem. Water change and less feeding after treating with chemiclean.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back