Treated marine velvet, when can I add to display tank

Tctran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Thanks in advance for the responses.

I have a QT that has a juvenile clown trigger, orchid dotty and splendid dotty. The two dotty's were in QT for 2 weeks in early July. I added a clown trigger, and 1 week later, all of the fish showed signs of marine velvet. The clown trigger showed so many white dots I couldn't count if I tried. I treated with cupramine at 25ppm for 2 weeks. The trigger didn't move for 3 days, but thank goodness, all 3 fish have survived. Fast forward and all 3 fish are still in QT and it's been about 8 weeks. I don't see any outward signs that the velvet has returned. All 3 fish are eating well, happy and fat.

My question to the forum is: Should I risk moving these fish to my display tank? How much longer in QT should I keep them to be safe. I have some very old fish in my display that I would like to protect as best as possible.

thanks.
Tom.

IMG_0856.PNG

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BB5DF218-AF6A-4750-A9B8-310D8FA359BD.jpeg

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, 3 weeks after the last spot/symptom is safe to assume they're disease free; however, most let the display they came from sit fallow about about 6 weeks just to be sure. Since you said it's been about 8 weeks, you're probably clear to move them back to the display.

OP
OP
T

Tctran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the response. The fish have never been in the display tank. Purchased and then into QT. I very worried to introduce disease into my display. I don't see signs of velvet on the fish, and I've read fish can become immune to velvet. If they are immune, can the still carry the disease to the display?

thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back