Treating Dinos and Cyano with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. - Does it work and is it safe?

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last month or so I have seen spots red slimy stuff growing on my rocks and close to frags. This has been happening in high and low flow areas. I am guessing this could be a form of cyano which I brush and siphon out. Also, my sandbed and glass panels go brown with a stringy organism quite fast and lump together when I remove them. The same grow over all my powerheads quite fast. I assume this to be a form of Dino. They also grow on my rock and frags are stringy to look at with little air bubbles which I guess are trapped from my in-tank skimmer. The worst is the sand bed which they sort of lump together and are hard to siphon out sometimes.

My parameters have been stable with Phosphates hovering around 0.03 - 0.05 and Nitrates between 10 - 15 ppm over this time period so it really hasn't bottomed out atleast not from what my Hanna checkers say. I am a little perplexed as to what could be causing this as there have been no major swings in my tank and lighting has been stable too.

I am considering treating these issues with the 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution. I am guessing this would be the medical grade we get at pharmacies or is there something specific that I should be looking at? My tank is a 30 gal mixed reef so I assume it would be 3ml dosed everyday for about a week directly into the water column?

I am quite interested to hear the experience other people have had with this technique in treating Dinos and Cyano. Especially from @vetteguy53081 who sparked my interest in this area.
My tank is about 10 months old and started of with dead rock. I've gone through a few blooms initially and I am a little perplexed at how I am getting this right now with stable parameters.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Over the last month or so I have seen spots red slimy stuff growing on my rocks and close to frags. This has been happening in high and low flow areas. I am guessing this could be a form of cyano which I brush and siphon out. Also, my sandbed and glass panels go brown with a stringy organism quite fast and lump together when I remove them. The same grow over all my powerheads quite fast. I assume this to be a form of Dino. They also grow on my rock and frags are stringy to look at with little air bubbles which I guess are trapped from my in-tank skimmer. The worst is the sand bed which they sort of lump together and are hard to siphon out sometimes.

My parameters have been stable with Phosphates hovering around 0.03 - 0.05 and Nitrates between 10 - 15 ppm over this time period so it really hasn't bottomed out atleast not from what my Hanna checkers say. I am a little perplexed as to what could be causing this as there have been no major swings in my tank and lighting has been stable too.

I am considering treating these issues with the 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution. I am guessing this would be the medical grade we get at pharmacies or is there something specific that I should be looking at? My tank is a 30 gal mixed reef so I assume it would be 3ml dosed everyday for about a week directly into the water column?

I am quite interested to hear the experience other people have had with this technique in treating Dinos and Cyano. Especially from @vetteguy53081 who sparked my interest in this area.
My tank is about 10 months old and started of with dead rock. I've gone through a few blooms initially and I am a little perplexed at how I am getting this right now with stable parameters.
Without any pics, hard to tell what you have but the dinp method below also works on cyano. Cyano will have elevated nitrate and /or Phosphate whereas dino will have very low to zero.

Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
D

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without any pics, hard to tell what you have but the dinp method below also works on cyano. Cyano will have elevated nitrate and /or Phosphate whereas dino will have very low to zero.

Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
Hey thanks a lot for getting back to me on this. Well I've taken a few pics today and tried to zoom in on the dino mats. Yesterday I pretty much siphoned out a big chunk off the sand bed and the red cyano I had on the rocks. I brushed the rocks too. I plan on changing my mech filter media in my canister this weekend and if the filter floss is able to give any sort of indication then I can upload the pics here.

I just checked my nitrates and phosphates today which are 11.3 and 0.04. I remapped the lighting schedule. Increased the temp a tad higher. Ive been under the assumption that this could be diatoms over the last 2 months but with 0 silicates and stable parameters I assume these are dinos. I am still waiting on coralline to grow.

I would like to understand how dosing coral foods like Reef energy AB+ or Reef roids lead to a cyano and dino outbreak. Do you have an explanation for this perhaps? Online I read that aminos are the cause for this. But I am still unsure of the interaction.

Here are some pics.
16438874798291827295436903758923.jpg
1643887537096142878405388942240.jpg
16438875596971642500109202144191.jpg
1643887585285216524419578583288.jpg
16438876150328041748802219658557.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back