Treating Flukes

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I click the link it takes me to a gallery of random coral beauties, none of which displaying anything odd. Do you have a direct link to the site the pic came from, or can you save it and upload it?

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to change the link a couple times should take you to an online fish store with a pic of Coral beauty which you can blowup the pic.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything unusual on the fish in that link. Looking back at the pic you labeled the best pic, however, I do see a white film or mark near the left pectoral fin.. Unless that's a spot on the glass.

Have you pulled the prazipro out yet? It only requires 24 hours to be effective. It may be time to do a round of antibiotics. That will ensure the eye continues to get better and that the mark you're referring to doesn't spread. I'd recommend the trifecta of kanaplex, metroplex, and furan-2. Metroplex will actually treat uronema when fed and dosed into the water (if that also is at play here), as well as internal parasites. I believe this would be the best course of action.

Here's the dosing schedule for the trifecta.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dosing-the-trifecta.386582/

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're not bugging us. This is what the forum is here for

Great news and info.

Not to hijack the thread but can u use Ruby Reef Rally bath as substitute for formalin for those stubborn flukes? I’ve heard that wrasses and hypo dont t mix well.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news and info.

Not to hijack the thread but can u use Ruby Reef Rally bath as substitute for formalin for those stubborn flukes? I’ve heard that wrasses and hypo dont t mix well.

I don't believe RRR would be effective for flukes. There was some speculation that it could be used as an alternative for brook, though I've never tried that myself.

I've had no problems with hypo and wrasses. I've treated an exquisite, a lunate fairy, flame, and a rhomboid with zero issues. I'd just keep an eye on pH and perhaps go a little slower raising salinity back up when finished

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't believe RRR would be effective for flukes. There was some speculation that it could be used as an alternative for brook, though I've never tried that myself.

I've had no problems with hypo and wrasses. I've treated an exquisite, a lunate fairy, flame, and a rhomboid with zero issues. I'd just keep an eye on pH and perhaps go a little slower raising salinity back up when finished

Thanks. I am in middle of second round of prazi. Wrasses have been in QT for 2 mos (waiting through fallow period in DT). Did prazi and TTM within the first three weeks I placed them in QT. Started to yawn twitch and scratch. Not a lot but just surprising after two months.

Thought i would try prazi treatment again instead of hypo. No signs today but second dose this coming Friday.

Last edited:

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I am in middle of second round of prazi. Wrasses have been in QT for 2 mos (waiting through fallow period in DT). Did prazi and TTM within the first three weeks I placed them in QT. Started to yawn twitch and scratch. Not a lot but just surprising after two months.

Thought i would try prazi treatment again instead of hypo. No signs today but second dose this coming Friday.

How far apart have you been dosing? I ran into one strain of flukes that took 4 treatments 5 days apart to kill o_O
I've also had prazi resistant flukes twice... That's why I had to run hypo with those 4 wrasses

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very little experience with hyposalinity; never used it on a wrasse before.
I have never used it on a Wrasse either.

I actually find that surprising that neither of you guys have had to. I had no problems with it but I also didn't know it was a potential concern with wrasses, though I guess it wouldn't really shock me if it is

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How far apart have you been dosing? I ran into one strain of flukes that took 4 treatments 5 days apart to kill o_O
I've also had prazi resistant flukes twice... That's why I had to run hypo with those 4 wrasses
First round I did 5 days apart with 20% change before last dose.

I did a FW dip on Thursday and I just did first dose to begin another round on Saturday morning. Planning 20% change and second dose on Thursday morning which will be five days in between.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually find that surprising that neither of you guys have had to. I had no problems with it but I also didn't know it was a potential concern with wrasses, though I guess it wouldn't really shock me if it is
I just learned that from my LFS. I trust them and they have years of experience with wrasses. I have been nervous to do it so I thought I would do another round of prazi treatments.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just learned that from my LFS. I trust them and they have years of experience with wrasses. I have been nervous to do it so I thought I would do another round of prazi treatments.

I totally get it. Constantly monitor pH, making sure your refractometer is perfectly calibrated so you aren't too high OR too low, and then having to be very careful not to raise it back up too quickly.. I'm just not a fan of formalin. I've used it once and I was a nervous wreck doing so lol.

Hopefully this time around the prazi will take care of it

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I totally get it. Constantly monitor pH, making sure your refractometer is perfectly calibrated so you aren't too high OR too low, and then having to be very careful not to raise it back up too quickly.. I'm just not a fan of formalin. I've used it once and I was a nervous wreck doing so lol.

Hopefully this time around the prazi will take care of it
Yeah I won’t use formalin. I would be a wreck as well. Thanks all for the advice and thanks for letting me hijack the thread a little. Cheers and happy dads day to all.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back