Treating Flukes

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on refractometer. Well built heavy aluminum but no such luck with consistency of calibration. I must calibrate it for each use. Still good for 20 bucks I guess. Currently doing salinity in display as his eye started to sell almost as soon as I started removing the praxis via carbon. Interestingly though swelling stopped as the salinity dropped 2 tenths ppm. Paleness around face disappeared.Looking healthy for what I can see after that. Damaged eye completely free of any white, fuzzy, or fleshy obstruction. Urchin in separate tank as I'm going hypo on the whole day just to be sure I've gotten the entire breeding cycle broken.

C70D7DDB-49DF-4CAE-AB44-C11C0BDE4CF6.jpeg

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh still have to get the kanoplex, metroplex, and furan-2. He is very noticeabley shows paleing of the scales on his face on the side that had the infected eye. A tiny bit on opposite side. For some reason I have to order these medications because we only have one lfs and they don't carry anything that actually works in fish treatment words of the employee in the aquatics department not mine. Will get pics when I do an antibiotic dip this afternoon as an not at home now.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry to hear that. What were you planning on using as a bath?
Did you dose Epsom salt the other day? If not, I'd give it a try. It may help until the antibiotics arrive

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using cephazolin at the moment first bath was 3 hours definitely helped but looks like it is possibly going to take at least one more bath. Was a very busy day did not get the pics will try to do it on the next bath.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using cephazolin at the moment first bath was 3 hours definitely helped but looks like it is possibly going to take at least one more bath. Was a very busy day did not get the pics will try to do it on the next bath.

@Humblefish do you have any experience with cephazolin? I've never heard of it

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually just took several images and it just doesn't show up on the images for some reason. Have an iPhone which normally takes very good images don't know why. However when I turn the full spectrum half of LED's all the way up the white shines like loose scales.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you end up ordering metro, kana, and furan-2? Another option is NFG powder. @Big G is a huge fan of it

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually just took several images and it just doesn't show up on the images for some reason. Have an iPhone which normally takes very good images don't know why. However when I turn the full spectrum half of LED's all the way up the white shines like loose scales.

I had a nasty bacterial infection a few weeks ago (lost 3 fish in 12 hours) that sounds exactly like that description.. It looked like scales had turned white and we're just dangling off the fish like little ticks. It's hard to describe. I was able to save my 3 clowns by using the trifecta

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Satdown with the vet and looked at a site he uses for reference and it said it is in a family of antibiotics known to help but not be so hard on liver but wasn't listed by name. Have been testing doses. Last dose was an insulin syringe per gallon. Am going to double it on next bath.

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not no truly distinct spots more like his whole face has been glazed and is whiting. Looks like basic scale damage like when a fish is handled except the paleness.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not no truly distinct spots more like his whole face has been glazed and is whiting. Looks like basic scale damage like when a fish is handled except the paleness.

Yeah, I'm sorry man. I have a couple threads confused in my head lol

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best pic of a bunch. If you zoom in you will notice a blotchy patch above and to the right of eye.

AAEDC819-50BC-4F9D-B5C7-66A770FBF939.jpeg

382488EC-1323-42A5-9625-9D5DBC359640.jpeg

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will research the nfg powder. Really think the trifecta you suggested will do the job if it is known to deal with velvet and urenoma as I have dealt with velvet and the stuff is terrible.Ended up using Coper and it just kept coming back

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all too familiar with reoccurring illness. From February until just a few weeks ago I lost 13 fish. I'd ordered maybe 20 snails and hermit crabs but didn't qt them. I'd done qt on all fish for over a year but didn't know I was supposed to also qt inverts. Lesson learned the (very) hard way. I ended up with prazipro resistant flukes, metroplex resistant brooklynella, and possibly velvet. To top it off, I lost 3 fish within 12 hours a few weeks ago due to a nasty bacterial infection from this madness.

The fish went through several doses of prazipro, hypo/ttm simoltaneously, kanaplex and metroplex because I suspected an infection, copper, followed by copper/ttm simoltaneously, formalin bath, eBay CP (which I HIGHLY discourage.. I was desperate and this was a last ditch effort), metro, and my surviving clowns just finished the trifecta a week or so ago. I'm willing to bet I did 2-3 fw dips on each fish at one point or another.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will research the nfg powder. Really think the trifecta you suggested will do the job if it is known to deal with velvet and urenoma as I have dealt with velvet and the stuff is terrible.Ended up using Coper and it just kept coming back

The metroplex should take care of uronema but the trifecta won't treat velvet. For velvet you'd have to use copper or REAL CP. Out of curiosity, how long did you treat with copper, what copper did you use, and how did you test? If copper drops below therapeutic at any point you'd have to start all over. We HIGHLY recommend the Hanna checker now. It's as close to 100% as it gets and is very easy to use. @HotRocks brought the instrument to light.

Back