Treating ich and flukes, copper and GC?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a couple of questions regarding appropriate medicating...

I have a bristlenose tang with ich and recently confirmed flukes, also white poop, the works. I am 2 weeks into treating with copper only. The ich is all gone visibly so I’m happy to see he has some relief. However he has been shaking his head a lot more then recently so I gave him a dip, confirming flukes. He looks much better now, has been eating like a champ. My questions;

1. Should I wait until after 30 days of copper treatment to start fluke treatment?
2. Should I use prazipro to treat the flukes? Or General cure to treat flukes and assumed internal parasites?
3. Should I feed General cure soaked foods for internal as well as dosing the tank with prazi/ GC? Would that cause on OD?
4. Is soaking the food more effective or just dosing the entire tank? Or do both?

Thanks a bunch!

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a couple of questions regarding appropriate medicating...

I have a bristlenose tang with ich and recently confirmed flukes, also white poop, the works. I am 2 weeks into treating with copper only. The ich is all gone visibly so I’m happy to see he has some relief. However he has been shaking his head a lot more then recently so I gave him a dip, confirming flukes. He looks much better now, has been eating like a champ. My questions;

1. Should I wait until after 30 days of copper treatment to start fluke treatment?
2. Should I use prazipro to treat the flukes? Or General cure to treat flukes and assumed internal parasites?
3. Should I feed General cure soaked foods for internal as well as dosing the tank with prazi/ GC? Would that cause on OD?
4. Is soaking the food more effective or just dosing the entire tank? Or do both?

Thanks a bunch!
You can add direct to water for the general cure. A lot of people prefer the food because each packet only treats 10 gallons and you get a lot more out of it if you put it in the food vs the water. Also general cure is not reef safe when just added to the water, adding it to food with focus makes it safe for the aquarium.

If you want to get rid of flukes you have to add it to the water.

As for the copper I only do two weeks and I've had success with that. However a lot of people do the 30 days just to be safe. Since your fish also has flukes I'd deal with what is visible right now and treat the flukes. If symptoms of ich come back you can swap back to treating with copper

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add direct to water for the general cure. A lot of people prefer the food because each packet only treats 10 gallons and you get a lot more out of it if you put it in the food vs the water. Also general cure is not reef safe when just added to the water, adding it to food with focus makes it safe for the aquarium.

If you want to get rid of flukes you have to add it to the water.

As for the copper I only do two weeks and I've had success with that. However a lot of people do the 30 days just to be safe. Since your fish also has flukes I'd deal with what is visible right now and treat the flukes. If symptoms of ich come back you can swap back to treating with copper

Thanks for the reply!

I would rather finish copper treatment then bounce back and forth. Does adding General Cure to the water column fight off internal parasites/worms/flagellates?

Thanks!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!

I would rather finish copper treatment then bounce back and forth. Does adding General Cure to the water column fight off internal parasites/worms/flagellates?

Thanks!
I have used this procedure several times with great success.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I treat the water column with General Cure while also feeding GC soaked foods? Can I do this while treating with copper?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with one of my Angels. The copper will suppress the flukes so continue treatment for 30 days. That will ensure you eradicated the ich parasites and then circle back around with two rounds of Prazipro to address the flukes problem.

Read this article. This is how I handle all fish entering my aquarium.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 45 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back