OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be reused in the DT, but clean with vinegar and allow to air dry thoroughly beforehand.

Coppersafe is chelated copper. It has a much higher therapeutic range of 1.5-2.0 mg/L or ppm. As such, you need a “total copper test kit” such as API’s to measure Coppersafe.

More info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-treatment.193343/
Thank you humble, very helpful. I have the API test kit and he seachem ammonia dectector.

I'm undertaking the most fun of all tonight as I get to destroy my beautiful reef and catch these buggers

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish do you have a recommendation for the best way to raise the levels to therapeutic levels? Reading through some other threads it looks like 1.6ml / gallon to reach proper levels? And then I assume you can split among a few doses over 3-5 days.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Wunderboiy 1.6 mL/gal will get you close to 1.5 ppm, but I would still spread out that dosage over 5-7 days unless treatment is needed more urgently.

Once you hit 1.5, I would slowly raise it up to 2.0 ppm to provide some wiggle room. FYI; 2.1 mL/gal is the correct dosage to get you close to 2.0. If you'd rather shoot for that (over 5-7 days) instead.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read through the post entirely but in my experience a very strong UV sterilizer helps a whole lot

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tang is looking pretty rough at this point, so going to start at 0.3ml / gallon once per day over 5-6 days to start and depending on reaction I may up to a morning and evening dose.

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help all. As I hope to keep you all interested enough to follow along in this process with me, here are a few pictures of tonight's fun (because threads are much more fun with pictures)

Fish in the QT
t4wweu.jpg%

The fun of tearing apart your reef
2hdpr9e.jpg

Reef before all of this fun (3 mo. Old 75 gallon, came from previous 37 gallon)
205flzm.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, any thoughts around how fast I can expect ammonia to rise in a qt with limited seeding material

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, any thoughts around how fast I can expect ammonia to rise in a qt with limited seeding material

You may not see any ammonia for the first 4-5 days, but after that you'll probably need to do a WC every 3-4 days. Let the ammonia alert badge be your guide.

What biofilter are you running on the 40 QT?

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some polyfill sitting in my sump for 2-3 weeks and brought that over in a HOB filter.

And on a not so fun note, diamond goby decided to jump through a tiny opening in the top by the HOB filter.... dam diamond gobys

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah yeah, the main tank was 100% sealed off and the qt had a tiny opening, which has now been sealed off... lol

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish question around the ammonia alert badge. Is it meant to be read with tank lights off or with light on. The color is different in each scenario

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish question around the ammonia alert badge. Is it meant to be read with tank lights off or with light on. The color is different in each scenario

ON. Sometimes it's best to use a bright white light behind the badge.... especially in dim rooms.

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

Hey Humble - so at this point, I was about 3 weeks in to treatment and now noticed that my blue tang showed signs of ich again, also looking like he might be developing HLLE. I have been testing copper, but apparently it hasn't been high enough.

Thoughts?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

Hey Humble - so at this point, I was about 3 weeks in to treatment and now noticed that my blue tang showed signs of ich again, also looking like he might be developing HLLE. I have been testing copper, but apparently it hasn't been high enough.

Thoughts?

Can you post a picture your test results? And of the fish too, if you can get a good one.

For water changes, you're dosing the water in the bucket before it hits the tank?

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, and I dosed the water at 2.1ml/ gallon. The blue tang is the only one showing signs. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see pics as well, to confirm this is still ich you are dealing with.

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting pics shortly. Upon further investigation, these white spots actually seem to be on the outside of the skin, almost hanging on

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back