Treating ich

bklynbee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have a fish with Ich in a Fowler tank. I tried a freshwater dip that didn’t work and just finished a round of some herbal medication from Petco that hasn’t worked either. I’m planning on moving the fish to a quarantine tank to treat with copper. Do I have to test for the levels of copper? I’m new to salt water ich so not sure what steps need to be taken. Tia

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out these posts...

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to be treating with copper, you should really look into getting a hanna copper test kit to make sure you are accurately dosing at therapeutic levels. If you have other fish in the tank, they will need to be treated as well. You might want to to post a picture of the fish with white lights on, just so one of the experts can confirm you are in fact dealing with ich.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone I have a fish with Ich in a Fowler tank. I tried a freshwater dip that didn’t work and just finished a round of some herbal medication from Petco that hasn’t worked either. I’m planning on moving the fish to a quarantine tank to treat with copper. Do I have to test for the levels of copper? I’m new to salt water ich so not sure what steps need to be taken. Tia
Herbal and FW WONT do much if anything
Coppersafe in a separate quarantine setting for 30 days at 80 degrees at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper kit … no API brand either

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is the most effective. Hyposinity also works.
I’m not surprised that the herbal remedy didn’t work - those are almost always useless against ich.
Freshwater dips are good for relief, but won’t do anything if the fish goes back into the same tank it was in, as any ich that fell off before dipping will just come back on.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with Coper safe and after the initial investment, the Hanna is well worth it - consistency and accuracy

Need then to move on to the fact you have a tank with some level of an ich population. and since you have had the time to see that hypo and herbs didn't work, it has been a few days...
Was this fish new and it brought it in?
Was this fish stressed and it allowed an existing infection to affect it?
Was a new fish brought in that led to a new exposure that will roll through the population?

and good news is that now that you have a hospital tank, you have a QT tank for later

Good luck bud, if it is "only" ich you have a great chance at nailing this

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bklynbee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is the most effective. Hyposinity also works.
I’m not surprised that the herbal remedy didn’t work - those are almost always useless against ich.
Freshwater dips are good for relief, but won’t do anything if the fish goes back into the same tank it was in, as any ich that fell off before dipping will just come back on.
If I dip him in fresh water and then put him in a new tank with new saltwater will that work? I have a spare 10 gallon I can put him in

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I dip him in fresh water and then put him in a new tank with new saltwater will that work? I have a spare 10 gallon I can put him in
Either way, you’ll want to do more than a freshwater dip. A dip will be good to relieve the fish of a few parasites, but won’t be effective in total eradication.

OP
OP
B

bklynbee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a good clean photo?
He has only a couple of spots on his tale today, it seems to keep going back and forth gets better then comes back

Attachments

• 5B452381-4BD1-4A47-AA33-92FF1AEC9D22.jpeg
    5B452381-4BD1-4A47-AA33-92FF1AEC9D22.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
B

bklynbee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with Coper safe and after the initial investment, the Hanna is well worth it - consistency and accuracy

Need then to move on to the fact you have a tank with some level of an ich population. and since you have had the time to see that hypo and herbs didn't work, it has been a few days...
Was this fish new and it brought it in?
Was this fish stressed and it allowed an existing infection to affect it?
Was a new fish brought in that led to a new exposure that will roll through the population?

and good news is that now that you have a hospital tank, you have a QT tank for later

Good luck bud, if it is "only" ich you have a great chance at nailing this
Yes it is a new fish he is the only one in the tank. I treated with the herbtana for 10 days

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, you’ll want to do more than a freshwater dip. A dip will be good to relieve the fish of a few parasites, but won’t be effective in total eradication.
In terms of getting the bugs off the fish, I have had success with a 10 minute SALTwater dip using Hydroplex. It is low stress and allowed them to survive with further treatment in my 10 gallon hospital tank using Cupramine. I was fighting Brooklynella and flukes but it will treat Ich also.

situming123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater can not heal from ich! Freshwater can not heal from ich! Freshwater can not heal from ich!

Freshwater is help BUT ONLY A BIT, it only get rid of little volume of ich from the body, and you HAVE TO use ich-x or copper power to deal with it. These 2 products are 100% work for ich treatment and make sure no coral or snail in the tank even ich-x mentioned reef safe. When you dose the copper, make sure you also raise up the temperature to 82 degree, that means you have to treat fishes from a QT not your coral tank, otherwise, your coral will die very soon.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back