Treating mandrin that eats pods QT

Ncreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading tanks. Have a mandrin and a Scopas tang. Scopas broke with ich. He eats fine. mandrin looks like he has a spot. Eat only eats pods. Question how do you quarantine a goby that eats pods?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrimar ova worked for my Mandy. Just feed as often as possible since naturally they graze all day long.

Also, you can treat them for ich using CP if you can get a prescription from your vet.

OP
OP
N

Ncreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never qt before I bought from a reliable source and he decided to give it up and spend time with kids. Since it's not a bad case of ich how many days qt? 7-10?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
N

Ncreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like ich because on one of my reefs in the past. Only thing is he don't scratch like they normally do. Don't think it's velvet either

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LuckyPhil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM and Baby Brine Shrimp (using a hatchery) works like a charm.
A few hours of the day I have the air stone off and have a torch lighting the bottom of the container to attract the baby brine shrimp and they go crazy for them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I wrong? You don't use copper on Mandarins.

I had understood mandarins are resistant to Ich because they are poisonous fish. Thus the bright colors.
Although the parasites may be on the fish it's not likely to stay on the fish. If you just keep the Mandy in qt for 72 days to be sure. You don't medicate for ich just internal parasites. So a Mandy qt can (imo should ) have rocks and chato also.

I would use the nutrimar for sure but include a baby brine as well. Just to make sure they don't come to depend on and expect one food.

If you look at Melev and Paul b feeding articles, you'll be feeding a bit more with the station method so you do need to keep up on water changes and don't let food accumulate.
If you feed a bit of phyto or even spriluna flake food it'll keep the bug population up.

Gotta Mandy? must love bugs.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had understood mandarins are resistant to Ich because they are poisonous fish. Thus the bright colors.
Although the parasites may be on the fish it's not likely to stay on the fish. If you just keep the Mandy in qt for 72 days to be sure. You don't medicate for ich just internal parasites. So a Mandy qt can (imo should ) have rocks and chato also..

A public aquarium I advise has found trophonts (postmortem) inside a dragonet's gills, where the mucous coat is reduced in composition.

Therefore, I feel it is advisable to treat them with CP or at least TTM.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A public aquarium I advise has found trophonts (postmortem) inside a dragonet's gills, where the mucous coat is reduced in composition.

Therefore, I feel it is advisable to treat them with CP or at least TTM.
TTM for sure seems to most commonly advised for scaless fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM for sure seems to most commonly advised for scaless fish.

But just for the record, CP is perfectly safe to use on scaleless fish as well. :)

It was first used by experts seeking a non-copper solution for treating ectoparasites on sharks & rays.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But just for the record, CP is perfectly safe to use on scaleless fish as well. :)

It was first used by experts seeking a non-copper solution for treating ectoparasites on shark & rays.
I know.

OP
OP
N

Ncreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well pretty sure the Scopas has velvet from a fox face that passed. Setting qt tank up

OP
OP
N

Ncreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was acclimating the Scopas to qt. When he was in the container I took a syringe and could blow some of the white specs off? Any ideas?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was acclimating the Scopas to qt. When he was in the container I took a syringe and could blow some of the white specs off? Any ideas?

Pic? You shouldn't be able to blow any parasites/worms off of a fish. They latch on or embed themselves. A FW dip (mentioned above) will force worms & "surface" parasites to drop off, but only flukes will be visible to the naked eye as white sesame seed looking things.

Back