Treating Marine Velvet Amyloodinium - Dinoflagellates.

Anees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
While reading one of your great Article from Reefkeeping.com regarding treatment of Marine velvet.
I came to know that as Ascorbic Acid acid is one of the treatment available to treat Amyloodinium - Dinoflagellates.
My Question is, if Ascorbic Acid treats Dinoflagellates. how to dose Ascorbic Acid in a reef tank, and any product you can recommend..
Thanks

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its probably by helping heal or strengthen a fishes scales or skin. But ascorbic acid is just vitamin c.

OP
OP
A

Anees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I know, but there is not much information available on this way,
I'm trying find new reef safe ways to treat this parasite.
its hard but hopeful.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
While reading one of your great Article from Reefkeeping.com regarding treatment of Marine velvet.
I came to know that as Ascorbic Acid acid is one of the treatment available to treat Amyloodinium - Dinoflagellates.
My Question is, if Ascorbic Acid treats Dinoflagellates. how to dose Ascorbic Acid in a reef tank, and any product you can recommend..
Thanks

I don't think I ever wrote such an article, so I'm not sure what you are referring to, or what dose someone else might have recommended.

Are you trying to treat velvet or problem dinos covering rocks?

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you meant this article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/sp/feature/index.php

The author states "In the absence of documented, scientific studies confirming the effectiveness of this treatment, I am leery of recommending its use. It is possible that I missed some study confirming its validity, so if anyone knows of one, let me know in my author's forum. Until such time, I cannot recommend its use. "

I wouldn't use it instead of a proven treatment.

OP
OP
A

Anees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I ever wrote such an article, so I'm not sure what you are referring to, or what dose someone else might have recommended.

Are you trying to treat velvet or problem dinos covering rocks?

Thanks for the reply Randy, I didn't noted the name of the Author it was by Steven Pro

what he Quotes is Treatment Option 8: Ascorbic Acid
This is yet another medication which claims to be a reef-safe cure for Marine Velvet.
.... "Eliminates for oodinium in salt water. Safe with invertebrates and algae. For best results complete the treatment program. Remove carbon and other chemical filters. Mechanically filter over floss or a sponge. Do not use ozone or UV sterilizers or protein skimmer. Nitrifying bacteria will not be harmed but will be repressed. After treatment undertake a partial water change.
...... he Also states that I was unable to find any reference to using ascorbic acid or Vitamin C to combat Amyloodinium ocellatum in any of the articles or fish texts that I have read. In the absence of documented, scientific studies confirming the effectiveness of this treatment,
I want to pick your brain on this If you have any research on this.

Question 2, what comes in my mind that if Amyloodinium ocellatum is kind of a Dinoflagellate can we kill these free swimming dinospores with Dino treatment like DinoX ? which is also a reef safe medication.

Highly appreciate if I could have your opinion on this.

Anees

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a thread about how people have dealt with velvet and ich in display tank and their successes to gather info on what maybe a common thing thats worked without having to take the fish out and dip it in this that and the other I had a wipe out and a couple survived I changrd my feeding habits more feeding HEAVY and use selcon and I grab handful sand from beach everyrhime I'm down coast and chuck it in. I still have ich or velvet In tank because I restocked steight away and every fish I add now gets it but I firmly believe keeping them fat healthy and immune is key.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a thread about how people have dealt with velvet and ich in display tank and their successes to gather info on what maybe a common thing thats worked without having to take the fish out and dip it in this that and the other I had a wipe out and a couple survived I changrd my feeding habits more feeding HEAVY and use selcon and I grab handful sand from beach everyrhime I'm down coast and chuck it in. I still have ich or velvet In tank because I restocked steight away and every fish I add now gets it but I firmly believe keeping them fat healthy and immune is key.

I'm sure there are many such threads in the disease forum.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back