Trey's SPS Dream Waterbox 180.5

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have recently started to purchase equipment for what I consider to be my dream build! Although ideally I would like to go bigger, I don't think my budget will ever allow for it. Im a long ways away from starting or completion, and have already run into a multitude of hiccups. I just want to get the ball rolling by sharing it with you all and fueling my passion and desire for this Reef.

So far I have purchased the Waterbox Reef Pro 180.5 and it should ship the week of August 17, 2020.

Along with that I have ordered the following Equipment:

Return:
Reef Octopus
VARIOS-6 CONTROLLABLE DC PUMP (1720 GPH)

Skimmer:
Reef Octopus
REGAL 200INT 8" INTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER (VARIOS)

Lighting:

EcoTech Marine
RADION XR30 G5 BLUE LED LIGHT FIXTURE X 3 with diffusors

Aquaticlife T5 Hybrid 61” white

Heating:

Bulk Reef Supply
300W TITANIUM HEATER ELEMENT x 2 w/ ink bird wifi controller

Control:

Neptune Systems
APEX CONTROLLER SYSTEM
(hopefully triton soon)

Apple iPad (10.2-inch, Wi-Fi, 32GB)

TABcare Anti-Theft Acrylic VESA Enclosure for Apple iPad 7 10.2" with Free Wall Mount Kit & 90-Degree Angle Charge Cable (iPad White)

Dosing / AWC:

Neptune Systems
DOS DOSING AND FLUID METERING SYSTEM x 2
Neptune Systems
MPR MAGNETIC PROBE RACK

Ato:

Tunze
OSMOLATOR UNIVERSAL 3155 AUTO TOP OFF

RODI / mixing station:

Bulk Reef Supply
7 STAGE PRO PLUS 100 GPD RO/DI SYSTEM (will integrate with my current 7 stage system and booster pump)

2x 65 gal norwesco tanks for salt mixing station and all sch. 80 valves w/ colored sch. 40 pipes.

EcoTech Marine
VECTRA S2 - MOBIUS READY DC RETURN PUMP (1400 GPH)

Flow:
EcoTech Marine
VORTECH MP40QD - MOBIUS READY QUIETDRIVE PROPELLER PUMP x2

Red Sea
REEFWAVE 45 x2

Thats all as of this post. If anyone has suggestions for other / alternate equipment I would truly appreciate it!

Last edited:

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have recently started to purchase equipment for what I consider to be my dream build! Although ideally I would like to go bigger, I don't think my budget will ever allow for it. Im a long ways away from starting or completion, and have already run into a multitude of hiccups. I just want to get the ball rolling by sharing it with you all and fueling my passion and desire for this Reef.

So far I have purchased the Waterbox Reef Pro 180.5 and it should ship the week of August 17, 2020.

Return:
Reef Octopus

Skimmer:
Reef Octopus

Lighting:

EcoTech Marine
RADION XR30 G5 BLUE LED LIGHT FIXTURE X 3 with diffusors and mounts

Heating:

Bulk Reef Supply

Control:

Neptune Systems
APEX CONTROLLER SYSTEM
(hopefully triton soon)

TABcare Anti-Theft Acrylic VESA Enclosure for Apple iPad 7 10.2" with Free Wall Mount Kit & 90-Degree Angle Charge Cable (iPad White)

Dosing / AWC:

Neptune Systems
Neptune Systems
MPR MAGNETIC PROBE RACK

Ato:

Tunze

RODI / mixing station:

Bulk Reef Supply
7 STAGE PRO PLUS 100 GPD RO/DI SYSTEM (will integrate with my current 7 stage system and booster pump)

2x 65 gal norwesco tanks for salt mixing station and all sch. 80 valves w/ colored sch. 40 pipes.

EcoTech Marine

Flow:
EcoTech Marine

Thats all as of this post. If anyone has suggestions for other / alternate equipment I would truly appreciate it!

Great start! You need to start a build thread

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be a nice build! The only thing I’ll add for you to think about is going with dual return pumps from the start. If you ever want to run UV you can always use one on a return, you also have a back-up in case of failure

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be a nice build! The only thing I’ll add for you to think about is going with dual return pumps from the start. If you ever want to run UV you can always use one on a return, you also have a back-up in case of failure

I thought about that! I wasn’t sure how to integrate it into the plumbing of the waterbox..

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this not the right place to start a build thread?
Sorry it is the right place I just meant you need a builder thread Banner LOL copy thread and paste

Screenshot_20191205-183244_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20191205-183321_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Doing one myself. Only diff is I bought a used 120g (4x2x2) and had nice little project refurbishing it. Now Im buying the equipment for it.

How about your rock? Have you considered what you will buy and cycle with?

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Doing one myself. Only diff is I bought a used 120g (4x2x2) and had nice little project refurbishing it. Now Im buying the equipment for it.

How about your rock? Have you considered what you will buy and cycle with?
Not sure yet. All I can seem to source is reefsaver. I know for sure I want my rock to be rather minimal so I have lots of room for coral growth and fish.
I’m planning on going bare bottom as well.
I’m thinking of a good selection of the “foundation” prices along the bottom mixed with some “shelf” pieces on top and perhaps a few of the traditional reef saver rocks mixed in...

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first shipment of equipment came in today

9A0925C0-3547-4A3A-97C3-0E33A12C7E98.jpeg
Very exciting. I just ordered a bunch of stuff myself but still need to decide on a skimmer (leaning towards the regal 150int), lights and the sump. I just went ahead and bought reef saver rock and wanted to start to cycle ASAP and hopefully finish my sump in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very exciting. I just ordered a bunch of stuff myself but still need to decide on a skimmer (leaning towards the regal 150int), lights and the sump. I just went ahead and bought reef saver rock and wanted to start to cycle ASAP and hopefully finish my sump in a couple weeks.

Ive had several tanks over the years and one thing I’ve learned it that PATIENCE is key to being successful. I am collecting equipment slowlyish, still quite a bit more to come. Tank doesn’t come for another month at least. Once I get it set up, I’ll cycle, and then stabilize, then add fish slowly. then stabilize and let it go through the ugly phases, then stabilize, etc. ad nauseam.
If there’s any advice I can give when it comes to sps, it’s take your time. Especially with dry rock. You’re probably more than fine to add other corals if you have the itch, and certainly anemones if you like. But adding sps too early is, more often than not, going to lead to heartbreak. And I certainly don’t mean to imply that you would do that! But it took me a few sad sad trial and error sessions to figure it out myself smh.

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had several tanks over the years and one thing I’ve learned it that PATIENCE is key to being successful. I am collecting equipment slowlyish, still quite a bit more to come. Tank doesn’t come for another month at least. Once I get it set up, I’ll cycle, and then stabilize, then add fish slowly. then stabilize and let it go through the ugly phases, then stabilize, etc. ad nauseam.
If there’s any advice I can give when it comes to sps, it’s take your time. Especially with dry rock. You’re probably more than fine to add other corals if you have the itch, and certainly anemones if you like. But adding sps too early is, more often than not, going to lead to heartbreak. And I certainly don’t mean to imply that you would do that! But it took me a few sad sad trial and error sessions to figure it out myself smh.
Thank you Trey. Ya my first tank. Trying to hold myself back from going overboard but ehhh. Only thing I regret at this point is buying a used tank but if I hadn’t I don’t think I would’ve done as much research and learned. I am happy to wait for sure, especially with sps.
I hadn’t seen the waterboxes until I saw your post and will def consider it for my next build in a year or two from now. Can’t wait to see how yours turns out.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, small update..
So I decided to go ahead and order the 61” aquatic life hybrid instead of the Radion mounting arms that seem to be perpetually out of stock. It won’t look quite as sleek, but will allow me raise the lights to a more appropriate height than 8 inches and will provide some Acro growing supplemental light as well.
I have been wondering if the 2 mp40s would be enough flow and decided ultimately that it wouldn’t, so I picked up 2 Red Sea reef wave 45s for the back wall of the tank.
In addition I grabbed a few miscellaneous items and decided to go with Marco shelf rock and prime cuts which should be in soon.
I’m putting in a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the tank and figure I’ll put in 2 GFCI outlets. Should I do 4?

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are plugging along over here, and the anticipation for the tank to arrive is building! I just got word that my water storage tanks are finally built at the factory and ready for pickup, the waterbox is *supposed* to ship next week, and the electrician should also be here next week. Not exactly how I had hoped things would happen (all at once), but hey I’m happy it’s happening.
I’ve got the flooring installed (what a nightmare), and the lights hung. I also ran AWC lines, Osmolator water and power lines, and a one link cable for the DOS through the ceiling and behind the wall from where the water storage area will be. Sorry for all the mess, and quarter round not finished, here’s how it looks so far:
CF306486-296C-4F28-AFFD-DB840BA010F6.jpeg

Cali Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Return:
Reef Octopus

Skimmer:
Reef Octopus

Lighting:

EcoTech Marine
RADION XR30 G5 BLUE LED LIGHT FIXTURE X 3 with diffusors

Aquaticlife T5 Hybrid 61” white

Heating:

Bulk Reef Supply

Control:

Neptune Systems
APEX CONTROLLER SYSTEM
(hopefully triton soon)

Dosing / AWC:

Neptune Systems
Neptune Systems
MPR MAGNETIC PROBE RACK

Ato:

Tunze

RODI / mixing station:

Bulk Reef Supply

EcoTech Marine

Flow:
EcoTech Marine

Red Sea
REEFWAVE 45 x2

Love to see fellow reefers with the 180.5 . looking forward to following your build. I just started my build too. haven't posted here yet.

Back