Trick to growing Zoanthids

Abel074

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a few zoanthid frag and want to know what to feed them. I enjoy the colors they bring out and very pleasant to look at.
Need advice on what to feed.
Thank you

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have trouble with zoos and mushrooms and i think that they do not like the strong led lighting.

username

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed mine what ever the tank gets for food, mysis brine plankton etc. just keep your levels stable and in good range and good lighting and they will grow just fine.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the different tanks I have had, zoas like "dirty water". They thrived in one tank that I had with nitrates around 20 and phospates around 3. That tank had no sps and lots of lps that thrived. The zoa reproduction rate was fairly high. With my current tank, which I am selling, it was predominantly sps and nitrates were 10 and phosphates were .01. My zoas never thrived like when I had higher nitrates and phosphates even though I feed the tank extra heavy. I had to take out some of the rowaphos and slow down the biopellets to get my nitrates to 15 and my phosphates to .05 which improved the look of my zoas a bit and didn't really harm my sps. That's just my 2 cents about zoas from my previos tanks.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some inspiration for you: http://reefhobbyistmagazine.com/downloads/pdf/version27.pdf Starts at page 10; a zoa addict article. Also, feed with reef chili from BRS. It is inexpensive and lasts a long time. There was a study done that proved that reef chili out-competed every other food. I think BRS has a video on that as well.

Last edited:

asmashling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some inspiration for you: http://reefhobbyistmagazine.com/downloads/pdf/version27.pdf Starts at page 10; a zoa addict article. Also, feed with reef chili from BRS. It is inexpensive and lasts a long time. There was a study done that proved that reef chili out-competed every other food. I think BRS has a video on that as well.

I would suggest reefchilli only in very stable and controled ULNS Tanks. Reef Chilli is a bomb of PO4.

Fauna Marin LPS Grow n Color grinded in the fingers and thrown over the zoas will make them grow reeeeeeally fast. You will see results after 5 minutes when they are consuming/eating those things. When i Feed that 2 times a week, i got most of the zoas popping out on to two new heads every month. Sure light and the rest is also important. but LPS Pellets are a different league.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest reefchilli only in very stable and controled ULNS Tanks. Reef Chilli is a bomb of PO4.

Fauna Marin LPS Grow n Color grinded in the fingers and thrown over the zoas will make them grow reeeeeeally fast. You will see results after 5 minutes when they are consuming/eating those things. When i Feed that 2 times a week, i got most of the zoas popping out on to two new heads every month. Sure light and the rest is also important. but LPS Pellets are a different league.

Not true. Everything organic has phosphates. Broadcast feedin, no matter the product, will increase phosphates. You have to control the amount that YOU put into the system which is why target feeding is always suggested . Reef Chili does the same and has the research evidence to back it up.

coral_feeding.jpg

Scientific research into coral farming yields new insight into the effect of flow, food and light
Reef Chili Ingredients

Last edited:

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on which zoanthids, palys, hard to group them together, you can have some that grow like weeks(eagle eyes) and some that take quite a while to grow and reproduce(electric oompa loompas) then theres some that just never enjoy your tank right next to others that are loving it, there really are a lot of variables.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That graph is a study of three species of SPS corals - not zoanthid species. I do not target feed my zoanthids anything and many zoanthid species do not need to be directly feed

Depends on which zoanthids, palys, hard to group them together, you can have some that grow like weeks(eagle eyes) and some that take quite a while to grow and reproduce(electric oompa loompas) then theres some that just never enjoy your tank right next to others that are loving it, there really are a lot of variables.

+1 except I wouldn't mention any specific morph in any generality. I find that a zoa that does well in some tanks may not do as well in your specific tank. Many zoas do tend to be forgiving and highly adaptable to any tank but some are very specific. Finding that sweet spot in your tank is often just trial and error.

I also do not agree that sps and zoas cannot be grown together in the same tank because of nutrient levels. That whole myth about zoas needing dirty water needs to stop. ANY generality about ALL zoas is a disservice to their care

Zoas are collected from many different regions of the world. These environments are varied and the evolution of those zoas specific to those differences. And today when there has been an influx of new zoa morphs from all the world this is even more true

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a few have already said, My Zoas seemed to like dirty water. When my PO4 was around 1.0ppm my Rastas were growing like Crazy!! At least 2-5 New Babies a week, Then reduced PO4 to .01ppm and now they arn't doing anything except looking pretty. But from what I've read Zoas don't really need to be fed at all, they just eat the fish poop in the water. But since I have a LPS dominated tank maybe I'll let my PO4 get up there again.

MondoBongo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the easiest way i have found is to decide you hate zoas and want more SPS in your tank. then they take off like weeds everywhere. =\

nesbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a darth maul piece that I wish would grow as much as some other zoa/polyps I have. I'm not sure if there's some solid information that can help in the growth of zoa's, some say just to have dirty water and others feed this... I'm going to try everything as if I can manage to get more heads out of this single head, I'll be a happy camper.
photo 1.jpg

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have polyps which are maricultured or wild it may take a while for them to adjust to your aquarium. I've had wilds/mari sit for 4 months and not grow a polyp. Time, patience and healthy looking zoos.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have polyps which are maricultured or wild it may take a while for them to adjust to your aquarium. I've had wilds/mari sit for 4 months and not grow a polyp. Time, patience and healthy looking zoos.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Good to know. I have some red ones that have been in the tank at least three months with no new polyps. They're healthy and colorful, but no growth.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back