Tricolor Mushrooms?

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've seen at least one other person on this board with some tricolor mushrooms, I believe two were for sale last week or maybe the week before. I picked up two of these guys, one was mostly red with just a few streaks of orange and the other is shown below under standard room lighting (pic was taken right before it was cut in half). I cut both of these mushrooms in half and I am quite pleased with the outcome. The one shown below maintained it's orange/red pattern but the mouths on both are turning green! The one that was mostly red is developing more orange and I think maybe a few flecks of green as well :) I'm pretty excited...not usually a mushroom person but man I love these guys! The mother colony that these came from were mostly orange/red but there were a few that had green streaks and those were AMAZING. I'm hoping the two orange/red with the green mouths develop green streaks too! Anybody else have any of these awesome shrooms? If so, post pics!!! I'll see if I can't post some pictures of the healing 4 when I get home. They're nearly a full circle again and are inflating nicely :)

tricolormushroom.jpg

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will post mine as soon as My GF comes back and tells me where the heck the cord is lol

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice....Keep fragging them so ou can spread it around....So the rest of us don't have to pay $300 a polyp.....

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two that are still in my tank, the other four are on frag plugs waiting to grow up a bit :tongue:

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of my slowly growing family. These are by far the sweetest shroom around! Also the slowest growing...

Mom
tiedye_2000.jpg

Family under 403nm LED's
tiedye_16939.jpg

There's also one more baby out of sight, up higher in the tank. That one actually has the most color of the offspring. I have no idea how old mom must be. When fully expanded it's nearing 6". The colors, IME, develop starting with orange, then red, then green, and lastly purple. These colors take time to come in, so given the amount of color that the original polyp had, I must wonder how many years old mom is/was. The younger polyps are developing red streaks and one of them has a green streak from the mouth to the rim. Another also has some green speckling randomly on the body and some red specks too. Always exciting when you notice a new color popping up!

Last edited:

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been drooling over these babies in a few threads. What I haven't seen is who is distributing these - and how much are they fetching.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody is really distributing them in volume. TCR had a few, but as far as I know he sold all of his babies. They're a very slow-growing species and they don't reproduce naturally at a very high rate, and partially for that reason there aren't very many around. Generally they've been going for upwards of $350 for a baby polyp in the nickel+ size range. I think I saw a little larger/more colorful baby go for over $400. I've seen a couple new ones get imported randomly, but they're few and far between. The last one I saw come through a CA wholesaler was about 2" or across and went for over $150 wholesale and I don't know where it ended up.

I got mine from Ultimate Frags a couple years ago and I've been babying it. I don't want to cut it all up and ruin the look of the polyp, so I haven't really been doing much forced propagation. Turning this one into a hundred isn't really my main priority. Since I do have some babies I've been working myself up to doing a little bit of cutting on the progeny. Currently I have five polyps, all over 2"+ expanded, so the babies are getting some decent size to them.

Last edited:

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 of those, i got two from a guy in Nor Cal and I got one from Mike (the captive reef), for sure some of nicest mushrooms that I have seen.

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe one day soon Marvin. I'm contemplating selling the two red ones when they're healed to buy more broodstock. :squigglemouth:

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having some fun with my LED moonlight tonight and decided to snap some new pics of the "kids" :)

flash.jpg

FSmine2.jpg

mine1.jpg

groupphoto2.jpg

sks4613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will these not reproduce like a yuma or a ric. What I do is let them mount to rubble or a frag, then cut them off at the bottom. The foot still attached grows a new head and there you go.... was just curious would hate to take something that pretty and slice it in half. Was just wondering. Might be slower that way grow them out but it's safer imo and they will attach again quicker then you can slice them again I would think. Just food for thought. These things are amazing!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back