Trident 2-months reagent $44.95, 6-month is $99.95....what????????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. Is it nuts?
I don't know about Calcium and Mg but we all know that the Alk testing reagents can be made for a fraction of the cost. If we assume all of them on the kit are selling for an equal amount then the $11 for 500ml of Alk reagent is high when compared to .1m Acid which is about $38 for 4 liters retail. God knows what it cost when you buy it in 55 gallon drums wholesale. Only other factor is the pH color changing chemical like Bromothymol blue which i bet is also very cheap in bulk.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
I don't know about Calcium and Mg but we all know that the Alk testing reagents can be made for a fraction of the cost. If we assume all of them on the kit are selling for an equal amount then the $11 for 500ml of Alk reagent of is high when compared to .1m Acid which is about $38 for 4 liters retail. God knows what it cost when you buy it in 55 gallon drums wholesale. Only other factor is the pH color changing chemical like Bromothymol blue which i bet is also very cheap in bulk.

As I said I really don't know. Just playing devils advocate in that we trident owners sort of knew this going in. There was a lot of talk that they wouldn't release the 6 month kits again and they did. Maybe they are looking at the data and the reagents will be a lot like toilet paper whereas they can see the trends and pattern and buy product to reduce the price even further. Or work on the shelf life, dyes, etc.

Honestly - I don't know as I said was I guess just stating the obvious :). BTW hope all is well Robby with you and yours.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said I really don't know. Just playing devils advocate in that we trident owners sort of knew this going in. There was a lot of talk that they wouldn't release the 6 month kits again and they did. Maybe they are looking at the data and the reagents will be a lot like toilet paper whereas they can see the trends and pattern and buy product to reduce the price even further. Or work on the shelf life, dyes, etc.

Honestly - I don't know as I said was I guess just stating the obvious :). BTW hope all is well Robby with you and yours.
I am not upset about it since we have the 6 month packs. I went into this expecting to pay $200 a year and that's amount is fine by me. I also have no problems with Neptune making a solid profit on the reagents. I was just speculating on the other posters claim that they could be sold for a lot cheaper price.
You have a good evening :)

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beg to differ on competition not dropping the price. The Alkatronic concentrated reagent used to be $99, now can be had for $35.

You can also just make it yourself

I have a 5 gallon bucket of Alkatronic reagent sitting in my laundry room with a dispenser on it for refills. Its a $39 amazon prime delivery for me refill it.

forget the cost, having to hunt for the refills for the trident would drive me nuts. Even the folks that aren’t complaining are saying they can usually find it on one of the 5-6 different major retailer websites. That’s really annoying, at least for me it would be.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Even the folks that aren’t complaining

I'm not complaining... because I knew this going in. I prefer to have APEX tell me how many tests I have... When it is time to change bottles, just use the task and stick in a different bottle. Since they are premixed, I don't have to take the time to do that or risk doing it wrong. They even overfill the bottles to ensure it doesn't run dry early. This doesn't mean that EVERYONE shares these value statements, but these are my personal value statements.

I also appreciated that they actively managed the supply chain (prioritizing 2 month vs 6 month) when times got tight so everyone could get reagents. 6 month is now back available... not because COVID is gone, but because they were able to adjust the supply chain.

Trident vs Alkatronic..... there doesn't have to be a "Winner". Each is good for a different type of person.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$200/yr is not anywhere near enough of an amount of money to where I would be concerned about saving on cost. $17/month. I spend more than that in 1 day on lunch.

I was using hanna checkers previously. Cost per test on those is like 10x what the trident costs per test lol.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$200/yr is not anywhere near enough of an amount of money to where I would be concerned about saving on cost. $17/month. I spend more than that in 1 day on lunch.

I was using hanna checkers previously. Cost per test on those is like 10x what the trident costs per test lol.
I would suggest that if one is worried about 17 dollars a month, they may be in the wrong hobby

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back