Trident 2-months reagent $44.95, 6-month is $99.95....what????????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put in stock notifications on 6 different websites so hopefully I can order reagent soon.

U

User1

View Badges
I just put in stock notifications on 6 different websites so hopefully I can order reagent soon.

6 month kits are going to be tough if not impossible. If you want reagents you can get them today at Marine Depot. 2 month kit.

Stop trying to fight C-19 and the system. Just buy the two month kit and move on until the world works through this mess. Then shoot Neptune a message on Monday and see if they will tell you anything.

Really - this just needs to stop.

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 month kits are going to be tough if not impossible. If you want reagents you can get them today at Marine Depot. 2 month kit.

Stop trying to fight C-19 and the system. Just buy the two month kit and move on until the world works through this mess. Then shoot Neptune a message on Monday and see if they will tell you anything.

Really - this just needs to stop.

Not sure if that was directed at me or in general but I'm not trying to fight anything and I'm using the system the retailers put in place to let us know when stock comes in. Not sure why my comment appears to have ruffled your feathers.

U

User1

View Badges
Not sure if that was directed at me or in general but I'm not trying to fight anything and I'm using the system the retailers put in place to let us know when stock comes in. Not sure why my comment appears to have ruffled your feathers.

No idea honestly - probably something I did I'm sure because looking back it doesn't make sense to me either. Sorry.

Only think i can think of is that you said you put in 6 different alert notifications :D Still, seems I came in a bit hot, yeah? Anyway was just saying 2 month kits are in stock at MD if you are interested. Ignore the rest :D

Hope you have an amazing day!

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea honestly - probably something I did I'm sure because looking back it doesn't make sense to me either. Sorry.

Only think i can think of is that you said you put in 6 different alert notifications :D Still, seems I came in a bit hot, yeah? Anyway was just saying 2 month kits are in stock at MD if you are interested. Ignore the rest :D

Hope you have an amazing day!

Fair enough, I did put in my notification at MD for the 6 month but purchased the 2 month through BRS since I had some award points to use.

When I noticed the 6 months were out of stock I did a google search to see if it was just a timing thing on my end or an overall supply chain issue and found this post. I was kind of bummed about losing out on the discount but somebody in this thread I think pointed out that we're being a bit trifling about the 6 month supply discount when we purchased a $600 testing machine...I thought that was funny and ordered my 2 month supply after some self awareness was had. :)

I used to live in so-cal and would go pick up all my online orders from the MD warehouse on my lunch, I miss those days.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably I’m repeating myself ..... I believe Neptune have stated that they’re focused on the 2-month kits to maximize the number of folks that can get reagent. Supply chains are dealing with shortages across almost all industries, and while I have no inside knowledge of Neptune, it does not seem unreasonable to me that companies that make chemical reagents may have other, more pressing demands on their capacity. Disagree if you will, go full monty on conspiracy theories if that is your predilection. Eventually supply chains will stabilize and folks will have the thrill of buying 6-month sets again.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not entirely what you would expect would happen. Their alkalinity competitors all have DIY methods for reagents, yet the OEM refills for those units have not dropped in price. If a DIY reagent came out for the Trident you would instead most likely have some statement about voiding warranty, or another boogeyman like that. They would most certainly not drop the reagent price, it's a perfect vendor lock into an ongoing cost with a lower front-end outlay. Pretty much inkjet printer business model 101, but with an ecosystem lock-in on top of that.

Beg to differ on competition not dropping the price. The Alkatronic concentrated reagent used to be $99, now can be had for $35.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone has 6 months reagents in stock in Canada ?

Also, what do you guys do with the remaining reagents in the bottle when the system says empty but you find a bit left in the bottle? Do you pour it into the new bottle?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what do you guys do with the remaining reagents in the bottle when the system says empty but you find a bit left in the bottle? Do you pour it into the new bottle?

I don’t think that’s recommended for maximum accuracy. Especially for A, because the two bottles are matched from the same batch.

Contaminating one bottle of A with reagent from a different batch, and then calibrating, means you will not get the same results once you install the second bottle of A.

What you can do is reset the reagent levels (on fusion) once they read empty. Then you may get an additional week of testing until it
Errors out.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that’s recommended for maximum accuracy. Especially for A, because the two bottles are matched from the same batch.

Contaminating one bottle of A with reagent from a different batch, and then calibrating, means you will not get the same results once you install the second bottle of A.

What you can do is reset the reagent levels (on fusion) once they read empty. Then you may get an additional week of testing until it
Errors out.
Make sense. Is that what you are doing though?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not, because it would disrupt trident controlled dosing if reagent runs out.
I see. Do you know how to display alk testing results in list view instead of graph so that I can count the test completed manually?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my first initial bottle A since it was set up on July 28, 2020. I replaced it this morning. It looks like there is still 50 ml left of reagent in the bottle. The Neptune says there is still 5 test left estimated, but it is already stopped working and giving me empty reagent error.

@Terence this is such a waste and hoping Neptune can send a firmware update or something. It is also more environmentally friendly to minimize such a good amount of reagent waste.
14EF8AE7-080F-4C8C-BFFB-DB64B4992F64.jpeg

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I'm just opening up a can of whoop-butt but here goes. Why not just get a calcium reactor. The initial cost is not that much more than a trident and when you factor in the cost of an apex and a Dos pump and dosing containers plus additives, a calcium reactor is a bargain.
Once the reactor is tuned in you test parameters maybe once a week.
The Trident has only been available for 14 or 15 months now. There are probably thousands of beautiful reef tanks older than 2 years started and maintained without a Trident. why have to test 4 times a day when you can make only minute adjustments a day.
Sorry for sabotaging initial post.

U

User1

View Badges
I know that I'm just opening up a can of whoop-butt but here goes. Why not just get a calcium reactor. The initial cost is not that much more than a trident and when you factor in the cost of an apex and a Dos pump and dosing containers plus additives, a calcium reactor is a bargain.
Once the reactor is tuned in you test parameters maybe once a week.
The Trident has only been available for 14 or 15 months now. There are probably thousands of beautiful reef tanks older than 2 years started and maintained without a Trident. why have to test 4 times a day when you can make only minute adjustments a day.
Sorry for sabotaging initial post.

You didn't open anything. People run successful reef tanks for years only manual testing, no testing, limited testing, no skimmers, skimmers, Ca reactors, no reactors, etc. Your point is valid and while I own a trident it didn't offend me. My only answer is from my use case. I do not like to test and the Trident does the ones I feel are important, or have been identified over the years, as important. That is even debatable :)

The raging concern be some is that there are no 6 month kits available which reduces the yearly cost. Some say conspiracy others say C19. In the end it doesn't matter because we all know the world is in a funky place and it needs time to work itself out. But the cost and reagents come up a lot...

The other concern is that hobbyists believe the reagent bottle should be empty or with only a few drops left rather than x ML. And when they see the left over they say hey - let me save it and I'll just add it later. Again, no. They have lot numbers and old bottle reagent will contaminate new bottle. Not to mention Neptune says no and that they do have an expiration date.

So all these things is like the trifecta of a perfect storm frustrating hobbyists. Me personally it is water off a ducks back. I'll revisit it next year and see how the world and reagent supply is doing. I bought the trident knowing that:

1. I need reagents for it to work
2. Reagents are going to cost me 44 bucks for 2 month at a minimum
3. There will be left over reagents in the bottle (due to water chemistry, levels, and overfill for calibration)

With those noted it is working as advertised and my numbers reflect that.

U

User1

View Badges
From my first initial bottle A since it was set up on July 28, 2020. I replaced it this morning. It looks like there is still 50 ml left of reagent in the bottle. The Neptune says there is still 5 test left estimated, but it is already stopped working and giving me empty reagent error.

@Terence this is such a waste and hoping Neptune can send a firmware update or something. It is also more environmentally friendly to minimize such a good amount of reagent waste.
14EF8AE7-080F-4C8C-BFFB-DB64B4992F64.jpeg

Reagents will be left. Reagent bottle is overfilled to allow calibration. Also reagent use will vary based on the tanks Alk, Ca, and Mag levels.

Saving reagents. You can. However, Neptune documentation says not to. Why? Because reagents have a shelf live and also have dye numbers. Think of tiles you would buy for your home. Tile also has lot numbers. You want a new floor you buy all the tile you need plus say an extra 10% at the same time. This gives you a better chance that all of the tiles are from the same lot number. You buy tile on sale, sit on it for a year, start the job, and find out you are 100 feet short? Buy it again and lay it down only to see the shade of green is now darker or lighter than the rest... Now you have to rip it all up and start over or live with it.

If you think 50 ml is too much open a ticket with Neptune. It won't hurt. However, based on my understanding and what I've actually seen all of my reagent bottles have extra. I just toss it.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the price point on these reagents is nuts. I absolutely hate it.
I wish somebody would reverse engineer the reagents and release them for "a different purpose" after all these are basically standard test and you can't patent that. my git give us some release. Reagents should be half the cost of what they are.

U

User1

View Badges
the price point on these reagents is nuts. I absolutely hate it.
I wish somebody would reverse engineer the reagents and release them for "a different purpose" after all these are basically standard test and you can't patent that. my git give us some release. Reagents should be half the cost of what they are.

I don't know. Is it nuts? I think it was calculated to be about 17 cents a test if not less. Other units you are going to buy a disc, or a probe, or a probe and reference solution. Reef bot you are buying existing kits based on recommendations.

Doesn't matter what solution you are using you will be replacing something. The question comes down to which one you are more comfortable with. Now that the 6 month kits are back it shouldn't be that big of a deal. If it is then maybe the Trident isn't something you are interested in or you can always take it off and online as you see fit.

Reagents are a known part of the device so hobbyist know before going in.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back