Trident Alkalinity Readings See-Saw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running my trident for over a week now, and it has been through the calibration process. Still, my alkalinity readings see-saw every other reading from high to low and back again.

6020EA2F-3164-497D-BF82-D25B6FD5FC46.png

this really illustrates the effect I am seeing. I have the trident running 8 tests per day. One is higher, one is lower, then higher, then lower. What could be causing this weird pattern and is there a way to fix it? I don’t expect every test to be exactly the same result, but this bouncing back and forth can’t be working as intended.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using Trident Controlled Dosing? See my Trident thread to see how I smoothed out the swings:

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I’m not. I haven’t installed the DOS yet. This is just straight up testing. I only hand dosed once which is that first big spike, but the swinging occurred before and after.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is kind of interesting to see that, but it’s also worth noting that the variation you are seeing is less than .2 dkh, which is really very small. Because your alkalinity and the readings are so consistent the graph magnifies those tiny changes and they look much bigger than they are.

As far as what’s causing it, the only thing that I can imagine is that it’s related to the calcium and magnesium tests. The trident will test just alkalinity for one cycle, then it will test alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium on the next cycle. I suspect (and this is just a guess) that there is either a tiny amount of something left over from the magnesium test that affects the next alkalinity test, or after the alkalinity only test the residue left affects the next alkalinity test.

But in any case, like I said, the variation is really tiny in the grand scheme of things and I really wouldn’t worry about it.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun, I took a look at my graph and I’m seeing a similar effect. I’m only testing 4 times a day, so my graph is a bit more spread out than yours, but there still seems to be a see-saw effect between readings.

617F891F-3FBC-4335-887D-C9014C4C4683.png

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. There must be something throwing it off during the multiple tests. Neptune advertise the trident as being accurate to within .05dkh so .2 dKH swings are not in spec, regardless. I’ll give them a call and see what they have to say.

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, it’s not that I expect it to be rock stable (though I also don’t dose yet because my consumption is really low), it’s just the pattern of differences between alk only tests and combined tests. Something isn’t quite right with the machine to be throwing a .2 difference every single time.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed the exact same which I was talking about with my friend before he found this thread. It must have something to do with the alternating alk vs alk/ca/mg. I upped the testing to 8x a day and the oscillation stayed the same. I use all for reef so it’s not a timing issue with dosing. It’s not a big deal however it is odd.
F2D80D79-ECF9-42F7-B881-A7A7FDCA193A.jpeg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is not stable, it fluctuates. I wouldn't blink at a .2 wiggle

I don’t think we are concerned with the swing, just the mechanism or process inside the trident that is giving these alternating values for curiosity sake as this would indicate the actual alk is either not accurate on the combined test or the true value is between the two values. I suspect the combined test alk value is slightly off. Not that it it is causing concern.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at my graph the lower alk numbers do match up with the combined testing at even when changing sampling frequency so it will be interesting to hear what Neptune says.

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at my graph the lower alk numbers do match up with the combined testing at even when changing sampling frequency so it will be interesting to hear what Neptune says.
Interesting that you have the exact same issue. I’ll update this thread after I get done with Neptune support!

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trident does the exact same thing. More curious than anything, but just wondering what Neptune has said to explain the alk dips when combined tests are performed. I will open another ticket with them if nobody has gotten any feedback.

Rob181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it can possibly be because of the consumption rates of the tank. Depending on when you dose too. How often are you dosing?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it can possibly be because of the consumption rates of the tank. Depending on when you dose too. How often are you dosing?
At least for me that isn’t the case as if you fun two back to back there is no yo-yo, it seems, for mine, to be related to the combined test and the alk alone. Fwiw I dose kalk every 15 min but off set so it doesn’t overlap with trident test and even if did have a huge powerhead in sump.

Back