Trident calibration fluid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still wish they would release more numbers for this stuff

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prime the Sample line after putting it in the calibration solution.
Haven't personally tested to see whether it actually makes a difference, but it's an easy thing to do.
Doing so won't cause your calibration solution to run out before calibration is finished.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you guys calibrate do you run a flush first, or just put the line straight from the tank into the bottle and click calibrate?
When you guys calibrate do you run a flush first, or just put the line straight from the tank into the bottle and click calibrate?
I don’t ever prime it. I just plop it in straight from the tank into the calibration fluid and then back into the tank when done.

Never had any issues. I check against a Salifert alk test each time I calibrate. Always dead accurate.

It doesn’t say to prime it in the instructions for calibration so why do it? Unless I’m missing something?

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t ever prime it. I just plop it in straight from the tank into the calibration fluid and then back into the tank when done.

Never had any issues. I check against a Salifert alk test each time I calibrate. Always dead accurate.

It doesn’t say to prime it in the instructions for calibration so why do it? Unless I’m missing something?
Thanks for the input. I guess my only concern is if any air gets into that tiny tube during its brief time outside the tank and weather that might matter in any way. The only reason I brought it up is because the values in all three were a bit wacky after my most recent calibration. Just made me re-evaluate my process. Was wondering if I did something wrong. I don’t verify my readings but I really should. Thanks for reminding me to compare against a gold standard each time. I guess it’s a bit lazy that I don’t but all of my saifert tests have expired. I will definitely pick up some more and will check against my calibration. Thanks for your input.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I guess my only concern is if any air gets into that tiny tube during its brief time outside the tank and weather that might matter in any way. The only reason I brought it up is because the values in all three were a bit wacky after my most recent calibration. Just made me re-evaluate my process. Was wondering if I did something wrong. I don’t verify my readings but I really should. Thanks for reminding me to compare against a gold standard each time. I guess it’s a bit lazy that I don’t but all of my saifert tests have expired. I will definitely pick up some more and will check against my calibration. Thanks for your input.
You will notice that as the calibration process is happening, the Trident will spit out some readings that don’t make any sense before it finalizes. After it is finished, the readings will match what was on your calibration bottle. This is all totally normal.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune just replaced my unit .. they did a nice job of standing behind the product.... but on to my question...
I just did a calibration and numbers way off. ( Neptune trident Test shows calcium at 725 and salifert test shows 500 )

1. Are the reagents A B and C all made to work specifically with the lots they are made at.. meaning do not mix up the other boxes of reagents made on a different date... Toss left over Reagent A. Some people have left over A since the use of A is based upon how high you keep your alk at in the tank.. higher the alk.. more reagent it takes to run the test.
2. Do we need to calibrate every time we do replace the reagents... I did not calibrate and when I replaced all the reagents... that is when i got off readings..
3. when changing reagents with new box of reagents.. do we replace the reagents.. run for a day and then do the calibration... thus you are using the reagents that came in the box - corresponding to that bottle of calibration.... I think my mistake might have been I used... for example box 3# of reagents... and calibration solution from new box #4... calibrated... then switched the reagents from #3 box and replaced with #4. Basically I believe that the reagents in the box ares specific to the calibration solution in the box ?

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune just replaced my unit .. they did a nice job of standing behind the product.... but on to my question...
I just did a calibration and numbers way off. ( Neptune trident Test shows calcium at 725 and salifert test shows 500 )

1. Are the reagents A B and C all made to work specifically with the lots they are made at.. meaning do not mix up the other boxes of reagents made on a different date... Toss left over Reagent A. Some people have left over A since the use of A is based upon how high you keep your alk at in the tank.. higher the alk.. more reagent it takes to run the test.
2. Do we need to calibrate every time we do replace the reagents... I did not calibrate and when I replaced all the reagents... that is when i got off readings..
3. when changing reagents with new box of reagents.. do we replace the reagents.. run for a day and then do the calibration... thus you are using the reagents that came in the box - corresponding to that bottle of calibration.... I think my mistake might have been I used... for example box 3# of reagents... and calibration solution from new box #4... calibrated... then switched the reagents from #3 box and replaced with #4. Basically I believe that the reagents in the box ares specific to the calibration solution in the box ?

Did you wait to see what the final reading was after calibration?

It will spit out a couple readings that make no sense but when the calibration finalizes, the readings should match the readings on the calibration bottle that you entered.

I’m not sure if the calibration fluid is specific to the reagent lot #’s that it came with. I always calibrate using everything from the same box - no reason not to.

It is recommended that you calibrate each time you open a new box. So calibrate after setting up - use up your second bottle of A, by that time B and C will be out as well - open new box, replace all reagents, calibrate and so on.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEP.. after calibration the readings did match those on the bottle.. I ran a full test again as I always find left over calibration solution in there... (since no good.. cant save why not )... confirmed same as on the calibration bottle. I then changed the reagents... which I think is a mistake... I think,, after re-reading everything.. first change the bottles.. let it run 48 hours then calibrate with the fluid.. .... i noted that neptune sells separate bottles of its calibration solution.. so I have to assume that the calibration solutions in the boxes are not specific to the sets of reagents.. BUT I do recall a conversation with Neptune that the REAGENTS.... are to each other... I will be calling neptune shortly to confirm this.. and will post back... If none of this is correct...i will need to send back this new refurbished unit....

just ran test again.. alk is 7.23 cal 819 Mag 1094

Last edited:

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEP.. after calibration the readings did match those on the bottle.. I ran a full test again as I always find left over calibration solution in there... (since no good.. cant save why not )... confirmed same as on the calibration bottle. I then changed the reagents... which I think is a mistake... I think,, after re-reading everything.. first change the bottles.. let it run 48 hours then calibrate with the fluid.. .... i noted that neptune sells separate bottles of its calibration solution.. so I have to assume that the calibration solutions in the boxes are not specific to the sets of reagents.. BUT I do recall a conversation with Neptune that the REAGENTS.... are to each other... I will be calling neptune shortly to confirm this.. and will post back... If none of this is correct...i will need to send back this new refurbished unit....

just ran test again.. alk is 7.23 cal 819 Mag 1094
I’ve never had any issue like you describe. I’ve always followed the instructions and never switched the reagents after calibrating.

I always replace all reagents and then calibrate with the calibration fluid that came with those specific reagents.

I’ve been running the Neptune for over a year, never had any issue.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just open an box to get another calibration.. did the calibration.. 8.3 400 1220 alk cal mag. when completed showed 8.3 400 1220.. all good.. then ran full test with the balance of the calibration fluid and got... 8.3 416 1196... so not far off.. but a bit scewed already which perhaps is because the fluid was open for two hours ?

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just open an box to get another calibration.. did the calibration.. 8.3 400 1220 alk cal mag. when completed showed 8.3 400 1220.. all good.. then ran full test with the balance of the calibration fluid and got... 8.3 416 1196... so not far off.. but a bit scewed already which perhaps is because the fluid was open for two hours ?

Having that small amount open for that long would likely mess up the numbers due to evaporation.

I wouldn’t sweat those numbers anyway. The alk was spot on, which is most crucial.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had any issue like you describe. I’ve always followed the instructions and never switched the reagents after calibrating.

I always replace all reagents and then calibrate with the calibration fluid that came with those specific reagents.

I’ve been running the Neptune for over a year, never had any issue.
I used to just calibrate every 3rd box or so. Things were always in line. Then one time the readings were much different from one box of reagents to the next. So I re-calibrated with the solution from the same box and everything was back in line. Now I calibrate with every new box with the solution from that box.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back