Trident Calibration Standard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Neptune folks, @Terence et al

Are single bottles of calibration standard going to be back in stock soon? I was starting calibration on my brand new Trident today and accidentally spilled the entire bottle after I started the calibration process. Now, I think the entire thing is going to be thrown out of whack because I have no clue how to stop the calibration and there’s no sample fluid for it to drawn in. :/ Help!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a pinch, you can use this. I've used it before with test kits and can verify that it appears to be accurate.

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s another option. You can use your tank water as a reference solution by testing it with other test kits beforehand, and running a calibration. It might not be ideal, but It worked great for me.
This is what I always do. I have several bottles of unused calibration standards.

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s another option. You can use your tank water as a reference solution by testing it with other test kits beforehand, and running a calibration. It might not be ideal, but It worked great for me.
But then you risk inaccurate test kits or testing methodology skewing your trident results as well. I’d rather use an established standard. Thanks though!

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then you risk inaccurate test kits or testing methodology skewing your trident results as well. I’d rather use an established standard. Thanks though!
Up to you I guess. I’m using the same test kits I used before getting my Trident. I trusted them then, why not now?

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to you I guess. I’m using the same test kits I used before getting my Trident. I trusted them then, why not now?
Because they’re not consistent. They can vary in accuracy and precision; what if you use a bit too much or too little water? The amount of titrant isn’t always the same. We aren’t machines so we’re inaccurate by nature. I would rather calibrate a precise machine like the trident with a known standard that has been established by ICP testing, like the one that was linked above.

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they’re not consistent. They can vary in accuracy and precision; what if you use a bit too much or too little water? The amount of titrant isn’t always the same. We aren’t machines so we’re inaccurate by nature. I would rather calibrate a precise machine like the trident with a known standard that has been established by ICP testing, like the one that was linked above.
I’m sorry that you don’t trust your ability to use a test kit properly . I was just trying to give you an option to use. Neptune Sys themselves says this is viable option to use.

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry that you don’t trust your ability to use a test kit properly . I was just trying to give you an option to use. Neptune Sys themselves says this is viable option to use.
Wow. No need to be rude. I just want precision and accuracy. You do you, boo.

Eb1air

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly stability in your parameters stay steady. if off partially in accuracy isn't that of importance...aka real 8.7 test 9 as long as its staying constant. That's what really matters

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look... if I’m using a $600 piece of equipment, I’d rather spend a few bucks on a calibration standard. Ok? End of thread. I got a bottle of standard and got it calibrated. No further discussion necessary.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back