Trident is loud :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not directly related to the volume level of trident. But sitting at work today something in the room next door sounded kind of like the trident noises and I literally had my phone in my hand to check parameters before realizing that I wasn’t hearing my tank.

Krazie4Acans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sits outside of my stand and I barely hear the noise from it when it tests. My mp40s are louder and it's a good thing the DOS are in the other room in a closet or I couldn't use them because of noise.

It is a new noise so you may just be tuning into the new noise that isn't usually there. My wife used to be able to hear it run but even she says she only heard it if she listens for it now.

OP
OP
CaptainOver

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...Sounds like some variability in manufacturing, then. I really can't imagine not noticing this when it runs.
If you have a phone you can load a sound analyzer on, try measuring the db level from 5 or 6 feet away with the tank just running normally, and with the Trident running.
Thanks for the info.

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to set the times at which the tests occur. Maybe that way it won't actually run the test while you're in the room.

OP
OP
CaptainOver

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to set the times at which the tests occur. Maybe that way it won't actually run the test while you're in the room.
Unfortunately, no. Currently the Trident is fixed to run tests distributed throughout the day. So at a minimum, there will always be a test at midnight and 6 AM...Which means I will have to turn it off when I have guests visiting, as it isn't acceptable for me to have them listen to tests happening in the middle of the night.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds kind of like a dolphin or some sort of echolocation whale sound. But, it isn’t loud at all. Dosing pumps, ATO pumps, skimmers, and ecotechs at higher % cause way more sound and vibrations than the Trident. I would say Trident is not loud at all compared to a lot of other equipment in the reef hobby.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds kind of like a dolphin or some sort of echolocation whale sound. But, it isn’t loud at all. Dosing pumps, ATO pumps, skimmers, and ecotechs at higher % cause way more sound and vibrations than the Trident. I would say Trident is not loud at all compared to a lot of other equipment in the reef hobby.
Oh that sounds relaxing :)

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be helpful to have an audio clip to get a sense. Just play this and turn up the volume until you hear the hum of the pumps. This is from 4-5 feet away with the cabinet doors closed.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApGsP96mYFT9ubdq81ySd8sAFMGGQA
Interesting. That is bit loud and noticeable.
I wonder what is making the sound. I thought the only mechanical parts in trident are the dosers...maybe not.
Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
CaptainOver

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe my trident is an angry dolphin, then...Unfortunately it is louder than all of those - my BRS dosing pumps, skimmer, Vortechs, etc.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe my trident is an angry dolphin, then...Unfortunately it is louder than all of those - my BRS dosing pumps, skimmer, Vortechs, etc.
Take a video standing 5-6 feet away so we can hear the sound. If it is really that loud maybe you do have a manufacturing issue and should contact Neptune. Or, your ears are very sensitive to that frequency lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My unit makes whirring/whooping noises that are certainly audible, but I'd hardly call them loud. I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder.

OP
OP
CaptainOver

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a video standing 5-6 feet away so we can hear the sound. If it is really that loud maybe you do have a manufacturing issue and should contact Neptune. Or, your ears are very sensitive to that frequency lol
My recording is in the second post of this thread...

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recording is in the second post of this thread...
Sounds similar to mine. Have you heard other Alk testers they are loud but a more machined frequency? I could hear water and other inaudible sounds in your recording too about the same loudness. Maybe you are just sensitive to the noise more than others.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The good thing is you don’t ever hear the voice in your head saying.........
Time to rest my water again.

Got my trident and love it so far. I don’t hear mine as I have a pretty high turnover and hear more water than anything else.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you heard an Alkatronic? Talk about loud....I can hear the Alkatronic run almost anywhere in my 4200 sq ft house. The Trident I can hear up to about 15 feet away, and only the r2d2 noises compared to the entire process of the alkatronic. It is MUCH quieter than the DOS pumps as well.

It's not silent by any means, but I don't have mine enclosed in anything and I find it MUCH less intrusive than the Alkatronic and even the DOS.

Just an FYI, the Alkatronic actually is pretty quiet now compared at least to my DOS. I did the quiet kit and yes it does make a huge difference. At least with the Alkatronic they have done things to help us that have sensitive ears and light sleepers at night.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI, the Alkatronic actually is pretty quiet now compared at least to my DOS. I did the quiet kit and yes it does make a huge difference. At least with the Alkatronic they have done things to help us that have sensitive ears and light sleepers at night.

The Alkatronic is $900 already...they shouldn’t sell a kit to quiet it down to a tolerable level, it should be included. I looked up how loud it was the day I got it and found out the quiet kit already existed....new ones at that point should have already been coming with the quiet kit installed.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Alkatronic is $900 already...they shouldn’t sell a kit to quiet it down to a tolerable level, it should be included. I looked up how loud it was the day I got it and found out the quiet kit already existed....new ones at that point should have already been coming with the quiet kit installed.

Agree 100%. I’ll ask this though I have a V1 unit and it was too loud. They found better pumps and replaced them free of charge for those of us with that version. The V3 that I installed for a customer is super quiet.

How many companies out there do you think would do that?

Lovebay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I got lucky, my Trident is very quiet. Honestly, it's one of the quietest pieces of equipment I have.

DocPaulo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer makes more noise.. get a bigger skimmer that makes more noise and the trident will seem ailent

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is unrelated-ish but this BRS review on the trident says

brs.JPG

He's basically saying he never tested before this xD

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back