Trident isn't pulling any samples... Time to Send It in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jaketuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trident is not pulling any water samples. I took alook at all I can see inside the tray and cannot figure why. The pump primes but no water is moving into it.

Neptune... are you doing the maintenance procedure yet?

Thank you
Pat

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd first check the sample line for any obstructions. Disconnect the fitting from the back of the Trident and use it to attach the sample line to a syringe full of water, then try to force the water through the sample line. If you see water come out the other end, then the line is clear. That's the most common cause of No Sample.

Also remove the reagent tray and look inside the Trident to see if all the tubes are still attached properly to the 6-port manifold.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check the Waste tube the same way as the Sample line, a clog in the drain line will air lock the lines.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine got clogged somewhere... After talking with Neptune support for a couple of hours, they cross shipped me a new unit. I was quite happy with their support.

If you remove the top/front triangle of semi-transparent plastic, you can see the test tube. Mine wasn't getting any water, even though I could hear the pump running. Probably something hardened in the tube somewhere.

tp5056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the same issue and after trying to troubleshoot it with Neptune support they cross shipped me a replacement unit.

I also could hear my motor running and verified my drain/sample tubing were not clogged ... something internal must've been clogged/jammed.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a couple spare sample and drain lines on hand. Usually a clog can be dislodged, but if it can't, the spare will come in handy.

SDJustin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trident is not pulling any water samples. I took alook at all I can see inside the tray and cannot figure why. The pump primes but no water is moving into it.

Neptune... are you doing the maintenance procedure yet?

Thank you
Pat

I've had this happen twice. The internal tubing is tiny silicon tubing (same as sample/waste external tubes).
Both times the input tube (within the unit, not the detachable tube) had a tiny clog in it. I disassembled the unit, found the clog, and cleared it.

Basically, you have to unscrew the rubber feet of the Trident (then are screwed in, just twist the rubber feet counter clock wise, and yes they might be hard to turn) which lets you pull the cover off (pull each side 'away' 1/4" or so). Once you pull off the cover (and remove the tray/reagents) you can see all the tubes, the peristaltic pump, and the pinch valves. Most likely the clog will be in the input tube, probably around one of the tiny barb connectors.

I removed the clog by sending some RODI water down the tiny tube with a 'wash bottle.' You need to figure out how to blow out the clog. You *could* just blow down the tube with your mouth but... probably dangerous if the clog is any of the reagent lines.

Here's a video showing you what you're getting in to if you DIY the repair:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaketuff

jaketuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I took most of these steps already. I will dig deeper.

I tried low pressure air on the sample/intake tube and it is moderately clogged. Feels like sediment.

If it got deeper idk yet. I will advise!
When I re install I will build a screen/filter to prevent this happening again.

Thanks for the feedback.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back