Trident Users Check Accuracy

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you after calibration of the Trident check to make sure the calibration is accurate. You can run a test using the calibration fluid as the water sample to be tested. You have to run a test but my corals are worth it .

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait is this an actual thing? I thought it was just the length of the tubing that mattered? o_O
I am currently dealing with a 2dkh difference in alkalinity.. I have meersalz pro reef and even after calibrating my avg ALK per trident is 9 and 11 per Hanna.. this salt is supposed to be 7-8dkh at 35ppt!! -___-
Yes, this is a thing. And the reason why so many are having issues with calibration.

Upvote 1

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to trident and only on my first set of reagents, but is there enough calibration fluid left to run a full test? I used my leftover to check my red sea tests. When I compare my red sea test results to trident they are the same within a reasonable margin or error.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vic5hands

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to trident and only on my first set of reagents, but is there enough calibration fluid left to run a full test? I used my leftover to check my red sea tests. When I compare my red sea test results to trident they are the same within a reasonable margin or error.
yes there is plenty of calibration fluid to run a full test

Upvote 0

jamo130788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the calibration fluid dkh with my Hannah and got a full 2 points difference .. I have the same difference when I measure my tank. Hanna says 9 - trident says 7. Went ahead and sent off an icp test and got the results back with a dkh of 9.1. All that being said , I think the calibration fluid is garbage ( well at least the couple bottles I got ). Not sure what do now because whenever you notify Neptune of this problem they blame the “3rd party test kits “ anyone else experience this ?

Upvote 0

Sea_Shanty_Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also don't need to calibrate after every reagent change. Sometimes the readings don't fluctuate at all. After a year of trident use I have probably 4-5 spare bottles of reagent between my two tanks

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also don't need to calibrate after every reagent change. Sometimes the readings don't fluctuate at all. After a year of trident use I have probably 4-5 spare bottles of reagent between my two tanks
Oh I thought it was supposed to be calibrated after replacing all 3 reagents. My trident out of the box was really far off on cal/mag before calibrating it. When I change reagents I will see if my readings still look correct.

Upvote 0

In the sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the calibration fluid dkh with my Hannah and got a full 2 points difference .. I have the same difference when I measure my tank. Hanna says 9 - trident says 7. Went ahead and sent off an icp test and got the results back with a dkh of 9.1. All that being said , I think the calibration fluid is garbage ( well at least the couple bottles I got ). Not sure what do now because whenever you notify Neptune of this problem they blame the “3rd party test kits “ anyone else experience this ?
This is happing right now to me my Hanna says 9.3 trident says 7.4 what did you do? I know I’m alittle late to the party

Upvote 0

In the sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just live with it - probably going to get an alkatronic next and hope for better results
That sucks I’ve had 3 different test all be in a acceptable range of like 9.3-9.5 and trident is in the 7s and there saying that’s prolly what my tank water is? Are you at least able to see consistency?

Upvote 0

jamo130788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks I’ve had 3 different test all be in a acceptable range of like 9.3-9.5 and trident is in the 7s and there saying that’s prolly what my tank water is? Are you at least able to see consistency?
Yeah it’s consistent - but it’s still wrong , in my opinion. Maybe the icp and multiple hanna tests I did were wrong , but I doubt it. My other readings are also way off - my calcium has always been 100 points higher than the icp tests I send out and my magnesium is all over the place. After using the product for more than a year, I really don’t have any confidence in it. At this point I keep it running in case there is something catastrophic- like 13 dkh or something

Upvote 0

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I thought it was supposed to be calibrated after replacing all 3 reagents. My trident out of the box was really far off on cal/mag before calibrating it. When I change reagents I will see if my readings still look correct.
I recently replaced all three regains and did the calibration.
Ca+ dropped from 450 to 400. then i did a test with API (its what i had and it was 400.

DkH as only 0.1 difference after cal but i checked it anyway and it was pretty much right on.

I will check periodically now just to see if it falls off.

Did not think to run a test on the cal solution at the time.

I have read the cal solution from Neptune sucks and there are better ones out there.

I usually cal the pH probe once a month and have a back up pinpoint that runs about 0.2 different despite both being calibrated at the same time with the same solution….

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently replaced all three regains and did the calibration.
Ca+ dropped from 450 to 400. then i did a test with API (its what i had and it was 400.

DkH as only 0.1 difference after cal but i checked it anyway and it was pretty much right on.

I will check periodically now just to see if it falls off.

Did not think to run a test on the cal solution at the time.

I have read the cal solution from Neptune sucks and there are better ones out there.

I usually cal the pH probe once a month and have a back up pinpoint that runs about 0.2 different despite both being calibrated at the same time with the same solution….
Now that I’ve had a year to get used to the trident I have started just calibrating with my tank water. After changing out all 3 reagents I will measure my tank water with several manual test kits multiple times each, average out the results and use those to calibrate it.
I also pay attention if my 2 part dosing solutions are being used at about the same rate, if they’re not I’ll confirm the tridents reading with manual tests and recalibrate if necessary.

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you after calibration of the Trident check to make sure the calibration is accurate. You can run a test using the calibration fluid as the water sample to be tested. You have to run a test but my corals are worth it .
First thing I do with a new package of reagents... throw out the calibration fluid, run my own tests and calibrate the unit and new reagents to that.

Upvote 0

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I’ve had a year to get used to the trident I have started just calibrating with my tank water. After changing out all 3 reagents I will measure my tank water with several manual test kits multiple times each, average out the results and use those to calibrate it.
I also pay attention if my 2 part dosing solutions are being used at about the same rate, if they’re not I’ll confirm the tridents reading with manual tests and recalibrate if necessary.
That’s a good way to do it also. just need to have good test kits.

What do you test DKh with?

Upvote 0

In the sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trident is saying 7.3 my Hanna is saying 9.3 my lfs tested with api and got 10.

i calabrated the trident to tank water at 9.3 and next test is back to 7.3.

talked to Neptune and they said trident is better than all! Not sure what to do? Any ideals

Upvote 0

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trident is saying 7.3 my Hanna is saying 9.3 my lfs tested with api and got 10.

i calabrated the trident to tank water at 9.3 and next test is back to 7.3.

talked to Neptune and they said trident is better than all! Not sure what to do? Any ideals
That seems odd that the next text after Cal dropped 2 DkH

Upvote 0

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s consistent - but it’s still wrong , in my opinion. Maybe the icp and multiple hanna tests I did were wrong , but I doubt it. My other readings are also way off - my calcium has always been 100 points higher than the icp tests I send out and my magnesium is all over the place. After using the product for more than a year, I really don’t have any confidence in it. At this point I keep it running in case there is something catastrophic- like 13 dkh or something
ICP does not measure alkalinity.

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those calibrating your Tridents, make sure to put the calibration solution bottle at the same height that the end of the black tube is in your tank/sump. Also, route the black tubing the same way during the calibration, it does matter, believe it or not.
The Trident is more accurate than hanna. Shoot for consistency over accuracy though, and you will do great. You want flat lines on your alk, cal, and mg reading charts if possible.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back