TRIDENTS IN STOCK AT BRS RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this may not be the right spot for this but I know alot of people are hawking the for sale section for one. Been in stock for over an hour.

Nothing like beer/wine, turkey and tinkering with a trident. Good luck. Sorry scalpers, your bubble has popped ;)

FutNA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked one up. Crazy how some have been paying anywhere from 800-1,000 on these units on ebay. To each his own.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not surprised. Glad I didn't hesitate on pulling the trigger, like I always do. haha

I hesitated, i still have an apex classic and need to upgrade to the new Apex to use the trident so it is a huge purchase for me. Seems like Neptune will force people to buy new units every time they make a new controller, not a big fan of that, I just had a WAV stop working the other day so I am starting to debate whether to stick with Apex or not.

They should offer a discounted upgrade to those with a classic

TheReefJunkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hesitated, i still have an apex classic and need to upgrade to the new Apex to use the trident so it is a huge purchase for me. Seems like Neptune will force people to buy new units every time they make a new controller, not a big fan of that, I just had a WAV stop working the other day so I am starting to debate whether to stick with Apex or not.

They should offer a discounted upgrade to those with a classic

For what it’s worth, Neptune offered me a discounted upgrade on the EL and 2016 when I sent in a classic that was unable to be repaired... I believe it was $100ish off either system.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a special place in Hell for those who buy just to resell for hundreds more.

Mind if I ask why you feel that way?

As a stay at home mom, I try to find ways to make a little money to keep up with what I need in this hobby. Sometimes it is buying a coral and growing it out. Other times I may buy someone’s equipment that is getting out of the hobby and part it out. And if the chance came up, I would not hesitate to buy a piece of equipment to resell. Actually, my buying and selling is not limited to just aquarium related items...it is a wide range of items I find second hand usually.

Personally, I do not see this as something that would send me to hell. It is just business and a way for me to support myself in this hobby. It allows me to stay at home with my 3 kids (and to have homeschooled the oldest 2 all the way through high school).

I have been on the other side of this situation several times and paid more than retail for high demand items. For example, there is an IKEA curtain rail kit that has been discontinued. I need the little rolling gliders that go in that rail, but a package of them is over $50 on eBay...and a single used piece can sell for $10 and I need 12 (sold for less than $5/24 pack new). To me, that is just how supply and demand works.

EBNewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because scalping the equipment adds no value and only makes things expensive. When you grow coral, you put in expertise and time so it's normal it's rewarded. Same for purchasing used items and cleaning/parting them.
By scalping a trident, you're adding no value to the hobby or anyone but yourself. Neptune and BRS have sold the item for MSRP even if demand exceeds the supply to be fair to hobbyists.
I'm not trying to convince you but the majority of people believe that people who unjustly enrich themselves at the detriment of others don't deserve it and make it worse for everyone. Whether it's electronic scalping, ticket scalping or an automated solution tester...

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because scalping the equipment adds no value and only makes things expensive. When you grow coral, you put in expertise and time so it's normal it's rewarded. Same for purchasing used items and cleaning/parting them.
This pretty much hits the nail on the head. I would add that forcing the buyer to purchase second-hand voids the warranty per Neptune Systems policies, so technically you are SUBTRACTING value. it subjects a delicate piece of equipment to an additional shipping cycle as well.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef 2 Reef should stop the sales of new Tridents on the forum, if people want to scalp them sell them on eBay so you can pay the listing and selling fees and have your own business. The selling forum in my opinion is usually for hobbyists to almost help each other out , I usually buy used equipment to save a little money but also helps that fellow reefer buy his new equipment with the funds. I have never seen something like what is being allowed with all the Trident sales in excess of $600, it is a disgrace to the hobby. Neptune totally bombed production and I am disappointed in them as well, makes me want to drop all their products and switch so something else. I think REEF2REEF needs to do something about allowing these Scalper sales.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As a stay at home mom, I try to find ways to make a little money to keep up with what I need in this hobby. Sometimes it is buying a coral and growing it out. Other times I may buy someone’s equipment that is getting out of the hobby and part it out. And if the chance came up, I would not hesitate to buy a piece of equipment to resell. Actually, my buying and selling is not limited to just aquarium related items...it is a wide range of items I find second hand usually.

Personally, I do not see this as something that would send me to hell. It is just business and a way for me to support myself in this hobby. It allows me to stay at home with my 3 kids (and to have homeschooled the oldest 2 all the way through high school).

I have been on the other side of this situation several times and paid more than retail for high demand items. For example, there is an IKEA curtain rail kit that has been discontinued. I need the little rolling gliders that go in that rail, but a package of them is over $50 on eBay...and a single used piece can sell for $10 and I need 12 (sold for less than $5/24 pack new). To me, that is just how supply and demand works.

The Trident isn't a discontinued product , so you are talking about two different scopes of reality. It is like comparing an antique hot rod they don't make anymore to a Tesla model that they cannot meet demand for. Sure I could go drive around buying the Tesla and reselling it , with the sole purpose of profit. But the antique car , I cannot do that , it is worth money because they no longer produce it . Two different economic factors in play here. For that matter why don't you buy other aquarium items and sell them online , would they sell.

Also, if you want to make a side business out of it , why not sell in eBay , so you can pay the listing fees and final sale value fees.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the same way. I made this post a while back which aligns with what is being said here:

Last edited:

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t believe the money people drop on An apex and then a trident on top of that. I have my dosing pump dialed in and I test every few days my parameters are rock solid and thriving acropora tank. Do people just buy these controllers and tridents for peace of mind and laziness for testing? Seems like a huge investment....

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t believe the money people drop on An apex and then a trident on top of that. I have my dosing pump dialed in and I test every few days my parameters are rock solid and thriving acropora tank. Do people just buy these controllers and tridents for peace of mind and laziness for testing? Seems like a huge investment....
Welcome to 2019 to the lazy generation!
I’m one of them!haha I don’t have my Trident yet. But I’ve turned my house into a smart house.

I’m so lazy that I have 100ft pipe that goes below my lawn to the edge of my property. It waters my privacy trees. It’s all on a setting controlled via app. Lazy 101!
Couldn’t even drag the hose over.hahaha!

Back