Tried to help, now I give up on trying

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not be able to help the person who you are trying to help but you most likely will be helping the people who read your comments after the fact. Don't quit because for every 1 person who ignores your advice there could be hundreds who read and followed your advice or at least learned from it. So please keep trying to help, you might just be saving someone else.
This is so true ...;Happy

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will remind everyone that we where all "noobs" at some point. Not everyone is inclined to understand or take what someone says as "help". Take that all with a grain of salt and not personal, taken from my personal hours spent trying to help hobbyist over the years. Give your advice and let it go with "kid gloves".

As for "why don't you just look up your question on Google, instead of asking here?" Depending on the situation and issue, wouldn't you want to ask a person's advise at times, as opposed to what someone has written? Some do. That's why me, the reefsquad and members of this community pitch in to help the best we can. I never expect or get frustrated when it's not taken as "gospel".

If you don't like the outcome of the given advice, then let it go. Simple as that.

With that said, I want to thank all members of this community that gives of themselves to help any and all with passion. Just give with "kid gloves". :)

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks, I’ve pretty much decided that it’s one of those.. Pick your battles moments. You can tell pretty fast who is worth saving and who isn’t. I hate to be like that but it’s about my piece of mind.
Yep, pick your battles. All you can do is give people the best advice from your knowledge base and let them process that information. If they don't take the advice, you move on.

It's not a competition to get someone to take your info over another poster's info. If the frustration gets to that point, then it's best to take a break and re-energize.

But, I do support what some consider "dumb" questions! If the person knew the answer, then they wouldn't have asked in the first place. If they argue with your response, this probably means they didn't understand the way the answer was given. At that point, either back away or attempt to answer the question in a different way that maybe they might understand.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has a different learning style, some by reading, some by doing, some by failing and not repeating.
Ain't that the truth! Problem is... I think at times I fall under all three learning styles! Whaaa! ;Wideyed;Shamefullyembarrased

wouldn't you want to ask a person's advise at times, as opposed to what someone has written? Some do. That's why me, the reefsquad and members of this community pitch in to help the best we can.
I agree. When disaster hits, the human connection is not only helpful, it's necessary for moral support, for someone to identify, sympathize, empathize, to care about the struggle.

It's not a competition to get someone to take your info over another poster's info. If the frustration gets to that point, then it's best to take a break and re-energize.

I agree. I think people sometimes get defensive because there are more ways to define success in this hobby, and no one wants to hear they're doing something wrong. In truth, I've read threads where what one person sees as a failure, another sees as a natural and healthy way to keep a tank (Examples: control ich vs. eradicate ich or keep a spotlessly clean/clear tank with absolutely no algae vs. an acceptable amount of algae controlled with fish and inverts to mimic the natural ocean.) When everyone responding says o_O;Stop, and the OP does not listen, it's time to walk away.

I do support what some consider "dumb" questions! If the person knew the answer, then they wouldn't have asked in the first place.

I agree. There are no dumb questions when there is life in a tank that needs saving. Educate the OP, and in the process, maybe save a life.

Roman009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll offer this as a newbie: this website is awesome because it’s filled with positive people. Yes, there’s repetition. Yes, there’s some foolishness.

It’s very difficult to remember what we didn‘t know before we knew it. This goes for all things in life (as we parents are reminded by our children) but especially in a hobby like this. The sheer amount of knowledge required to successfully be in this hobby makes many of us legitimate ‘mini experts’ in the field. We forget we all started out ignorant. And this hobby is actively evolving.

I love this site for all the patience and knowledge contained here. Compared to the rubbish that is widespread in social media today, this place is a gem.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. It’s not just with reefing

One of my fav sayings...
A dumb person makes the same mistakes.
A smart person learns from their mistakes.
A genius learns from the mistakes of others.

Then again, there’s so many ppl out there pretending to know things that you really have to sift through the crap to get good honest advice these days
Ha, that doesn't apply to driving though

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blame the disposable culture and lack of dedication and ultimately lack of giving a hoot for living creatures. I get sad when a snail dies. I got into this hobby 3 years ago for the wrong reasons. When I purchase a pet, I do my absolute best, to my ability and knowledge, to keep it alive and happy. I'm in it now. I may not add anything else besides an algae blenny or possum wrasse. I will do my best to keep what I have alive. I have a huge amount of meds on hand that will expire shortly and will need replaced. I have thousands invested for keeping a few fish, inverts, corals alive for a 20 gallon. I made the choice, I learn to keep my promise to the best of my abilities. 9 year old rescue cat= $9k in vet bills 2 months later plus $50 in special food each month. 1 year old rescue dog, $1k in vet bills plus recurring $50 a month meds for a dog that can't be around other people or dogs. If I were rich, I'd buy a humane society.

Last edited by a moderator:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back