Trigger Fish

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i suppose its once bitten,twice shy , thank you for your reply . I suppose its each to their own every one has their favourite fish . What do you keep?
Ashley.
I have a reef tank with a trigger. Blue throat trigger... he is awesome... lots of personality.

OP
OP
A

Ashley1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef tank with a trigger. Blue throat trigger... he is awesome... lots of personality.
They do have a large personality i thought my porcupine puffer (in my other tank) was funny but my trigger i just watch in fascination! even night time watching him lock into place and he like me defffinatly not an early riser he is so slow in the morning, then he wants his food , will do his laps for an hour then he wants to watch what im doing. And for some reason he likes the hoover!!
Ashley.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i suppose its once bitten,twice shy , thank you for your reply . I suppose its each to their own every one has their favourite fish . What do you keep?
Ashley.
I have a reef tank with my wife's fishes in it :)
Tangs, harlequin tusk, tomato clown pair, foxeface lo, talbot damsel.
She just got her own tank with a pair of snowflake clowns so pretty soon I plan to be fish free. :)

OP
OP
A

Ashley1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef tank with my wife's fishes in it :)
Tangs, harlequin tusk, tomato clown pair, foxeface lo, talbot damsel.
She just got her own tank with a pair of snowflake clowns so pretty soon I plan to be fish free. :)
I like the harlequin , very colourful ! Will you be getting more fish?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have great personalities. When they get bigger they can become pretty aggressive so I like to add them last and smaller specimens to start.

Angel fan here! I don't have trigger because of clean up crew. Here are my angelfish.

Last edited:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g with a Blue Throat and a Niger trigger in it. Sadly, I lost the Clown and HumuHumu a while back. I've been waiting for my LFS to get in replacements for me on those 2.

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi im new to this forum, i'm just wondering if any one else on here has fish only tanks keeping Trigger Fish?
I’m in the process of designing a monster tank that will end up 650 or 850 gallons (still deciding). I had a Clown Triggerfish in the early 80’s and he was awesome! I wrote an article about my playful and quirky Trigger “King,” that I posted here…

Triggerfish are very animated and fun to keep. My plan is to have an all Triggerfish monster tank, but I might add a couple of eels like a Snowflake and a Spotted Eel. I had a Snowflake back in the day and they are great tankmates for Triggers (usually).

Cheers!

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept many triggers over many years.

Currently i have a clown trigger, pineapple "yellow margin" trigger, Blueline "Fuscus" trigger and a really big humu "picasso" trigger. These 4 live with 2 other large aggressive fish, a miniatus grouper and a sohal tang. This group of triggerfish have been together for about 2 years. My humu is the oldest i have had him around 5-6 years

Triggerfish are aggressive but not all of them. The key is consistent and frequent feeding schedules, my team eats 4 times a day + water turnover rate, "waves". They will fight initially to determine territories, but once that is done its fairly peaceful.

I always always always use a isolation box, a big one. I keep new fish after a 5-6 week QT in a isolation box and observe for about a month. I never cut these observation times short. a month is a month.... you learn a lot about personality.

Thought i'd go ahead and share a few photo's. They really dont do justice because the red sea lights blue bleed super bad, even with a filter.

Blueline is about 5-6" Pineapple is the same size but thicker

Humu is about 8-9 inches and he's REALLY THICC. This guys barks for food!!!

Attachments

• image_123986672 (2).JPG
    image_123986672 (2).JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image_6487327 (6).JPG
    image_6487327 (6).JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 93
  • image_123986672 (1).JPG
    image_123986672 (1).JPG
    49 KB · Views: 99
  • image_123986672.JPG
    image_123986672.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 85

Awesome458

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept many triggers over many years.

Currently i have a clown trigger, pineapple "yellow margin" trigger, Blueline "Fuscus" trigger and a really big humu "picasso" trigger. These 4 live with 2 other large aggressive fish, a miniatus grouper and a sohal tang. This group of triggerfish have been together for about 2 years. My humu is the oldest i have had him around 5-6 years

Triggerfish are aggressive but not all of them. The key is consistent and frequent feeding schedules, my team eats 4 times a day + water turnover rate, "waves". They will fight initially to determine territories, but once that is done its fairly peaceful.

I always always always use a isolation box, a big one. I keep new fish after a 5-6 week QT in a isolation box and observe for about a month. I never cut these observation times short. a month is a month.... you learn a lot about personality.

Thought i'd go ahead and share a few photo's. They really dont do justice because the red sea lights blue bleed super bad, even with a filter.

Blueline is about 5-6" Pineapple is the same size but thicker

Humu is about 8-9 inches and he's REALLY THICC. This guys barks for food!!!
Thanks for your reply! Trigger’s are awesome fish and they are a hoot to play with as well… Back in the day, I had a Clown Trigger I named “King” and he would spit water at me regularly, bark and snort, play fetch with a plastic practice gold ball (the one with holes), drag huge coral pieces around his tank and rescape the sand bed multiple times a day. He was more like a dog than a fish… Triggers rock!

Cheers!

Shock1K9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi im new to this forum, i'm just wondering if any one else on here has fish only tanks keeping Trigger Fish?
I have 9 in a species tank that are doing well together… start them together, small, and feed them often. This is what I have…. Titan, Blueline, Picasso, Bursa, Half-moon, Niger, Undulated, Rectangular, and a Clown. I’ve had several owners of LFS visit my home and they are blown away by these monsters swimming together and happily greeting me when they see me. Like a pack of happy dogs.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 9 in a species tank that are doing well together… start them together, small, and feed them often. This is what I have…. Titan, Blueline, Picasso, Bursa, Half-moon, Niger, Undulated, Rectangular, and a Clown. I’ve had several owners of LFS visit my home and they are blown away by these monsters swimming together and happily greeting me when they see me. Like a pack of happy dogs.
Well, give us some pics then. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back