Trigger Hiding and Not Eating

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sargassum trigger is apparently on a hunger strike. For the past 2 days he has been hiding in a few different spots (currently very visible). He won't come out to eat or for anything. He used to be the first one to the front of the tank when I walked up with food. His stomach looks a bit sunk in, but otherwise looks fine. His breathing almost looks slow if anything. He sits locked into his location and his eyes follow the other fish. He's the only fish acting abnormally.

This fish and all my others go through TTM with prophylactic meds including GC in their food during the whole process. In addition, this same fish had real bad fin rot on his tail in Dec (ish). He spent 3 weeks in a hospital tank with meds dosed to the tank (triple antibiotics) and to his food. He got better and his tail has been growing back steadily. I don't think there's any bullying, but I have a purple tang who can be a dick at times.

Should I chalk it up to something spooking him and hope he comes out and eats in the next couple days? Any thoughts?

Sorry the picture isn't fabulous. I can't get my SLR back where I can get a view and my phones temperature adjustments are limited.

20200330_181742.jpg

Last edited:

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch for aggression. Red tails are usually pretty shy and can get bullied by even smaller fish. Any chance you introduced internal parasites after quarantine? Triggers are prone to parasites

OP
OP
A

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch for aggression. Red tails are usually pretty shy and can get bullied by even smaller fish. Any chance you introduced internal parasites after quarantine? Triggers are prone to parasites
He was the most recent thing into the tank. All non fish things go through a separate QT system, but it's been months since I added anything.

Other fish: purple tang, naso tang, regal angel, clowns (one is mean and aggressive to me, but never seen him go after a fish), Firefish and a Bella goby. The trigger is the biggest if them, even the naso, by a decent margin (my naso is a midget). This is a 180ish gallon tank

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back