Triggerfish does summersaults occasionslly

mark_craciun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI my favorite fish a Picasso Trigger occasionally does a complete sideways flip. Other than that he is fine, he rules the tank so he is not getting picked on, he eats and has plenty of energy. Pretty much no change other than a flip here and there. He is so active I thought he may just be playing, but I had another trigger do this a month ago that ended up dying, the difference is it was hiding alot and I could tell it wasn't feeling good. I went in there one day and it was dead on the bottom of the tank.

Swim bladder? I read that it may have eaten to much and the built up food is pushing on his swim bladder. Dont feed for a couple days to clean out his system? Is it sick? I also read that he may have just gulped in too much air while eating,? He eats like crazy.

I have only been keeping saltwater for about four months, but kept fresh water for 25yrs or more. I understand the nitrogen cycle and all parameters are perfect.

They did just get done with 30 days of Copper Power about a month ago, cause I thought I could get away without doing QT,.... Learned the hard way, every new fish goes through QT now. So I don't know if his condition is from using copper? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tank is 180G, Parameters are Perfect. I don't want to lose him. Also no red or white stringy poo.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's not scraping against any rocks when rolling it could be he's just playful/acrobatic. You could temporarily cut back on his food a bit for a few days and see if it helps?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
HI my favorite fish a Picasso Trigger occasionally does a complete sideways flip. Other than that he is fine, he rules the tank so he is not getting picked on, he eats and has plenty of energy. Pretty much no change other than a flip here and there. He is so active I thought he may just be playing, but I had another trigger do this a month ago that ended up dying, the difference is it was hiding alot and I could tell it wasn't feeling good. I went in there one day and it was dead on the bottom of the tank.

Swim bladder? I read that it may have eaten to much and the built up food is pushing on his swim bladder. Dont feed for a couple days to clean out his system? Is it sick? I also read that he may have just gulped in too much air while eating,? He eats like crazy.

I have only been keeping saltwater for about four months, but kept fresh water for 25yrs or more. I understand the nitrogen cycle and all parameters are perfect.

They did just get done with 30 days of Copper Power about a month ago, cause I thought I could get away without doing QT,.... Learned the hard way, every new fish goes through QT now. So I don't know if his condition is from using copper? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tank is 180G, Parameters are Perfect. I don't want to lose him. Also no red or white stringy poo.
My niger trigger did this on occasion. They are attracted to both water flow and their own reflection off glass. Does it respond quickly to movement such as walking by and feeding ? A video under white light would clarify hunch.

Last edited:

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to R2R. Glad you found this site and especially this forum!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back