Triggers in a Reef! How many of you are keeping (or have kept) them?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many of you are keeping (or have kept) triggers in a reef? What are your favorite types? What has been your experience both good and bad?

1 triggers in a reef.JPG

This lovely reef belongs to @SPR1968

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had blue throat triggers in many clients tanks without a problem. Except the occasional one that might go for ornamental shrimp. I usually can mitigate this issue by having the shrimp added to the tank before the trigger and making sure the trigger is fed several times a day.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a pair of Blue Throat Triggers (as you can see! Lol) and their real characters and try and spawn every 3-4 months or so by trying to dig a nest in the bottom of the tank

Their very active and have their home deep in the rocks

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang Daniel, I had just about convinced myself to abandon the idea of a trigger in my tank and now it starts all over again! :D:p

Seriously, I've always wanted one but was afraid to because I love my shrimp (blood shrimp). I also worry a little about the whole spitting water out of the tank thing...how often is that an issue folks?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also worry a little about the whole spitting water out of the tank thing...how often is that an issue folks?
Good question. I'm curious on this too

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following, good thread. My favorite are triggers and parrots.

Wish I could keep a humu. Did have blue jaw but love the colors of humu

mwrobers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 inch blue throat with 2 clowns (1 and 1.5 inches). Two peppermint shrimp were in tank before the trigger alonh with countless tiny to laehe hemits and snails. He tries to use them as cleaner shrimp, but they suck. One climbed on trigger with no issue. I'm going to try and introduce a skunk cleaner. I'm not suee how I can add it withoit it becoming an expensive meal. Suggestions? Am I asking for trouble.

Carl Eckelman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you are keeping (or have kept) triggers in a reef? What are your favorite types? What has been your experience both good and bad?

1 triggers in a reef.JPG

This lovely reef belongs to @SPR1968
Beautiful tank.

I just added my first trigger(blue throat) he is still very shy when he sees people. I hope that changes but so far seems like a team player

mwrobers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank.

I just added my first trigger(blue throat) he is still very shy when he sees people. I hope that changes but so far seems like a team player
Mine was shy for about a week whenever anyone approached the tank. He has no fear now and remains a team player.

Deborah Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Pineapple and a white tail. The Pineapple would kill my damsels and run around the tank with them in his mouth. Needless to say he got a new home so did the white tail. I have had Niger triggers and have not ever had any trouble with them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I too have had blue throats and while they didnt bother coral, the quarreled with each other and occasionally knock a froag plug to the bottom

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my blue throat. Never hurt or bothered anyone, except the occasional frag he’d bump into. Very active and personable fish. He managed to jump while I was on vacation :( Side note he did seem anxious as he grew in my standard 90, I wouldn’t get a trigger again with less than a 6 foot tank. They also eat a ton and poop to match.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X triggers are very safe and nice. Crosshatch and Sargassum are neat and beautiful.

I have kept Pink Tail and Hawaiian Black with good success, but they can sometimes eat an invert.

All of them eat a LOT. I had a crosshatch and also a pinktail that could devour a whole 6x6 sheet of Nori at a time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back