Trio of Possum wrasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as the title says, I’m thinking of trying to get a trio of possum wrasse when my naoko and Blue star leopard have gotten too big for my tank (Or two of my other fish decide they’re too old). The tank is a 20g cube and I was just wondering if it could go well (There is a Cryptic sixline in the tank)
Has anyone tried this trio before (There may be a few years between me posting this and atleast one possum wrasse actually happening - The Blue star leopard is less than an inch so she will take a few years to grow to Atleast 3”) and how well did it go?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a sixline in there forget about it.
Actually, Cryptic six lines (They’re commonly called the pink streaked wrasse) aren’t what you think they are:
They aren’t actually Pseudocheilinus hextaenia, it’s Pseudocheilinops ataenia instead
Personally, I don’t think they should be known as cryptic sixlines because they act very much like a leopard wrasse and just calmly swim between caves and rocks hunting down worms (Mine doesn’t seem to use Copepods)

Last edited:

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, Cryptic six lines (They’re commonly called the pink streaked wrasse)
My bad, I've actually own a Pink Streak wrasse for many years but never noticed they were called that. Learn something new every day. I know my Pink Streak was a little bossy with a Tanka Wrasse. My guess three Pink Streaks in a small tank wouldn't be the best plan. If you have enough pods maybe a Bluestriped Pipefish would work for you instead.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest part is finding possums that are still female. I'm assuming you're referring to Wetmorella nigropinnata, since those are the most common. The younger ones have faint white stripes between their two main yellow stripes, but I've only seen them that small in stores once or twice. Having kept all three species, I assume the females aren't as red as the males (I've had some that were almost brown), but I could be projecting qualities of other wrasses on them.

At the same time, I've introduced possums together and one turns cherry red, to show dominance I assume, and the other just high-tails it away.

I imagine, like any wrasse, creating a harem comes down to getting multiple at the same time when they're young.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest part is finding possums that are still female. I'm assuming you're referring to Wetmorella nigropinnata, since those are the most common. The younger ones have faint white stripes between their two main yellow stripes, but I've only seen them that small in stores once or twice. Having kept all three species, I assume the females aren't as red as the males (I've had some that were almost brown), but I could be projecting qualities of other wrasses on them.

At the same time, I've introduced possums together and one turns cherry red, to show dominance I assume, and the other just high-tails it away.

I imagine, like any wrasse, creating a harem comes down to getting multiple at the same time when they're young.
Yeah, I have never seen the difference between a male and a female of the possum wrasses (I wasn’t referring to a certain species, but I also highly doubt I would be able to get 3 tanakas pygmy possums since I’ve only seen one, possibly two at the same time and that was about a year ago now)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a sixline in there forget about it.
I don't know about 3 possum wrasses but I have two of them and two 6 line wrasses. They all ignore each other and some of those fish have been in there for years.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back